Petition to nominate Dr. Simul Parikh as ASTRO president-elect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to be too political, but... this feels like the 2016 election.

I have reasons to dislike both candidates, but one of them is worse.... and at the same time, voting for a 3rd party (Dr. Parikh) might mean the guy I like the less wins.

Decisions, decisions...

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Not to be too political, but... this feels like the 2016 election.

I have reasons to dislike both candidates, but one of them is worse.... and at the same time, voting for a 3rd party (Dr. Parikh) might mean the guy I like the less wins.

Decisions, decisions...
Agree about 2016 analogy. I remember thinking "Is this really the two best people?"

I am not impressed with our "leaders"...Most recently Eichler...Really?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reviving this thread given its importance now more than ever before

Reactions: 1 user
Seconded

Reactions: 1 user
Happy to revive this.

Last time, a bunch of idiots killed it with fake names and endorsements, trying to be funny instead of doing something revolutionary to fix our field. They will have no one to blame with Astro destroys their careers and livelihood.

If the group is mature enough to actually push for a change, we can pursue this again.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Happy to revive this.

Last time, a bunch of idiots killed it with fake names and endorsements, trying to be funny instead of doing something revolutionary to fix our field. They will have no one to blame with Astro destroys their careers and livelihood.

If the group is mature enough to actually push for a change, we can pursue this again.

I would fully support this idea with the most mature part of my brain.

All jokes aside, ASTRO should have a CEO that is an MD and Simul would be one of the best people in our field to do it.

You have to be a member of Astro to run and to vote as well.

Last edited:
I never know where to put this stuff.

But thought people may want to read this 1999 IJROBP SCAROP publication where they openly and profusely discuss a surplus of radiation oncologists, but a shortage of academic radiation oncologists.
1706056161512.png

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Where does it say academic rad oncs though?

It says people entering residency

I never know where to put this stuff.

But thought people may want to read this 1999 IJROBP SCAROP publication where they openly and profusely discuss a surplus of radiation oncologists, but a shortage of academic radiation oncologists.
View attachment 381487

Huge difference in pay back then between academics and pp, where technical was often available. Best residencies competed for jobs at Princeton, Coia group etc, while Harvard would start instructors off at around 100k. Mskcc graduated something like 4-5 classes with no one going into academics.

Huge difference in pay back then between academics and pp, where technical was often available. Best residencies competed for jobs at Princeton, Coia group etc, while Harvard would start instructors off at around 100k. Mskcc graduated something like 4-5 classes with no one going into academics.
1706068793767.png

Yea like it would be pretty healthy and normal for radiation oncologists to study and discuss incentives and occupational behavior of our physicians. Then we could adapt as things change in healthcare to keep radiotherapy healthy for our patients.

On the other hand, anti-trust.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yea like it would be pretty healthy and normal for radiation oncologists to study and discuss incentives and occupational behavior of our physicians. Then we could adapt as things change in healthcare to keep radiotherapy healthy for our patients.

On the other hand, anti-trust.
Balls of steel in rad onc circa 1999, imo.

ASTRO has promised to "Target Provider Wellness" in 2024. Looks like they are pretty good shots.

ASTRO has promised to "Target Provider Wellness" in 2024. Looks like they are pretty good shots.

A good way to improve the wellness of radiation oncologists would not be to call them "providers" along with literally anyone else involved in patient care.

This is supposed to be the organization that represents us as physicians? Ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 users
A good way to improve the wellness of radiation oncologists would not be to call them "providers" along with literally anyone else involved in patient care.

This is supposed to be the organization that represents us as physicians? Ridiculous.
Great point!

Based on those awful GBM contours in the Red Journal recently, I don't trust any Establishment Leader from ASTRO to accurately target anything...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Did you know that the Nazis used the term provider to devalue Jewish doctors?

"First, the origin of the term provider is deplorable. During its ascent to power in the 1930s, the Nazi Party promoted the devaluation and exclusion of Jews in German society, including the medical community. Due to its eugenics campaign, the Nazi Party first targeted pediatrics, a specialty in which nearly half of its practitioners were Jewish.2 Beginning with female pediatricians, all Jewish physicians were redesignated as Behandler (provider) instead of Arzt (doctor.)2 This is the first documented demeaning of physicians as providers in modern history. Jewish doctors were soon restricted to treating only Jewish patients and were further persecuted during the Holocaust. Knowing this background, what health care organization would use a term once associated with Nazi ideology?3"

• Wow

"First, the origin of the term provider is deplorable. During its ascent to power in the 1930s, the Nazi Party promoted the devaluation and exclusion of Jews in German society, including the medical community. Due to its eugenics campaign, the Nazi Party first targeted pediatrics, a specialty in which nearly half of its practitioners were Jewish.2 Beginning with female pediatricians, all Jewish physicians were redesignated as Behandler (provider) instead of Arzt (doctor.)2 This is the first documented demeaning of physicians as providers in modern history. Jewish doctors were soon restricted to treating only Jewish patients and were further persecuted during the Holocaust. Knowing this background, what health care organization would use a term once associated with Nazi ideology?3"

No, I did not, but I will definitely mention this in the future.
It greatly annoys me how physicians routinely bend over and allow their status to be denigrated as a matter of courtesy and not wanting to seem elitist. No doctor should tolerate being called a provider as it is a slap in the face. Calling us what we are with specific terms matters, thank you for that.

I just received an email from CompHealth looking for a "provider." I responded asking them to clarify what kind of provider they are looking for. Low hanging fruit, I know.

In the UK surgeons are called Mr/Ms/Mrs...

Maybe everyone in the UK are Nazis!