Petitioning for an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Sabrina

When you're put on hold for a possible interview, is there a way to petition for an interview?

If so, how do you go about doing that?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you being serious?

I think it would be best to leave it alone. If there is NEW info you would like to give to a school (new grades, awards etc.) then you could send it in (with a just-to-let-you-know sort of letter) but I certainly wouldn't beg for an interview. If you have something new to add to your file, it's probably okay (depending on the school) but don't come right out and DIRECTLY ask to be interviewed. Let your achievements speak for themselves. There is a point in this process at which we just have to let go and have a little faith.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with the previous poster...

I think that if a school is truly your #1 choice, and you really really want to go there, why not ask? Yeah, you're not going to beg for an interview, but you're asking for an interview so that you can in person demonstrate your qualities to be a doctor.

Just the act of asking for an interview shows your strong desire to attend that school.

Besides, what do you have to lose? You're already in the hold list... they're not going to reject you for asking for an interview...

Some schools will be annoyed (perhaps even offended), others will grant you the interview. You don't know which one you have until you try. :)

Even if they do get annoyed, all they will do is either throw your letter in the trash, or just put it back in your file. If they throw it away, no harm is done, you gained some letter writing experience.

If they put it in your file, it will be beneficial to you as they review your file later...

Definitely write them a letter; you have nothing to lose. Trust me, it won't sound like you're begging if you state that their school is your number one choice. Schools love to hear they're valued as number one. Write why you think you're a match for the school: what they have to offer to you and what you have to offer to them.

I plan to write a letter of interest to my number one school if I don't hear from them regarding an interview a week or two after the holidays. It's not begging at all; you're simply letting them know why you feel there's a match. It's especially meaningful in med school applications because so many students apply to so many different schools that someone's interest in a particular school is sometimes never found by the ad comms.

my two cents,

i would first evaulate whether your are a competitive student in terms of gpa and mcat scores. if you're not even near the averages for last year, i think it wouldn't be too wise.

the admissins committee often reviews applicants and priotizes those applicants whom they feel are the strongest candidates in terms of grades and test scores. yes, people will say that other factors are important. however, you need to be realize that everyone else has the a tremdous amount of experience such as volunteer, research, and recommendations. if you're scores and gpa are above the averages from last year, i would consider the option.