1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Pets at Caribean Schools?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by frankali, Apr 15, 2000.

1. frankali

frankali New Member

Can anyone give me information on whether one can bring pets to Saba, SG, American, etc..?

------------------

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

Some might think this trivial, but a dog or cat amidst the rigors of medical school can be therapuetic after a parcularly "ruff" day. [​IMG] I have read of students who have brought dogs to Carrib schools, which I do not know. One incidence was of a female student whose German Shepherd saved her from a break in once--maybe even more times!

Contact individual schools for specifics, as this is certainly not a new question to them...and prepare to pay extra wherever you go.

[This message has been edited by Stephen Ewen (edited 04-17-2000).]

4. Carbon Klein

Carbon Klein Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My neighbor at Grenada brought their Golden Retriever, but the poor thing had to stay in a little carrier cage for the duration of the flight which is really long. Also, at St George's, you must leave Grenada and go to St Vincent after 1.5 years to do your final semester there (a 45 min flight)

------------------

5. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

People bring pets to grenada with a $25 bribe...erm processin fee, but there are stray dogs absolutely roaming the island, and while surprisingly friendly to humans at least, and amazingly, better behaved than most hosue pets you've encounted, they are mange and flea ridden unfortunates. Id not bring a pet for his own benefit.
    Steph
    sgusom'99

6. hopedoc

hopedoc Member
    10+ Year Member

I was thinking of bringing my cat if I were to go to the Caribbean. Would he have to be quarantined when we got there? Also, how long is the flight?

7. Carbon Klein

10+ Year Member

I think it will have to be quarantined. Depending on where you are, the flight time varies. I flew from SF to Miami (about 6 hours) and then from Miami to San Juan Puerto Rico (about 3 hrs? I usually slept) and then from San Juan to Grenada (about one hour). Of course there can be upwards of one to three hours of down time at the airports just waiting for your flight. It's quite a long ride.

8. Carbon Klein

10+ Year Member

My landlady had three Dob puppies and I loved spoiling them (as I spoil my Peke puppy now). However, I also remember buying a ton of dog treat in the US during my Xmas break for those pups because they didn't have such things in Grenada. I don't remember seeing dog food for sale there either. The locals feed human food to their dogs there. If you don't want to do that with your pet, you might want to bring a ton of pet food with you just in case you can't find any there.

9. hopedoc

hopedoc Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the advice, seems like it might be best to leave my cat with someone for a couple of years, until I make it back to the states.