PGR (post grad residency)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's life as a PGR resident like? How many hours do work per week? Is as stresseful as the first 2 years of dental school?

Where can I the "inside scoop" on each PGR program? Is there published literature? I looked the info listed online at the ADA website, but it is too general and too formal. How can I find out what each program really focuses on (implants, op, anesthesia...) I want the inside scoop, without having to visit the site and interrogate the current residents there.

Members don't see this ad.

futureD said:
What's life as a PGR resident like? How many hours do work per week? Is as stresseful as the first 2 years of dental school?

Where can I the "inside scoop" on each PGR program? Is there published literature? I looked the info listed online at the ADA website, but it is too general and too formal. How can I find out what each program really focuses on (implants, op, anesthesia...) I want the inside scoop, without having to visit the site and interrogate the current residents there.

Each program is different... ask students from your school that have gone to them... best time to ask is after they have been there a few months like Dec through May.... visit programs, ask questions. Go to resident fairs, like at the Greater NY meeting, or maybe your school has a career day, etc where speakers from programs come.

Are you talking about GPR (general practice residency)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. 'Sorry for the confusion.

are there any questions you have now that I may help you with?

What's life as a GPR resident like?
How many hours do work per week?
Is as stressful as the first 2 years of dental school?

Where can I the "inside scoop" on each GPR program?
Is there published literature? I looked the info listed online at the ADA website, but it is too general and too formal.

How can I find out what each program really focuses on (implants, op, anesthesia...) I want the inside scoop, without having to visit the site and interrogate the current residents there.

GPR are like

What is life as a GPR resident like? –
Each program is different. It depends on the on-call, the # of emergency, and how much learning you want to do. It also depends on your fellow residents

How many hours do work per week? Some one at the hospital residency is always on call--- so depends on how many residents and how many after hour consults/ calls you get.

Is as stressful as the first 2 years of dental school? You are learning real world dentistry so will be like your practice but you are working with supervision.. big stress may be some emergency you have not done before or a medically changed patient.

Where can I the "inside scoop" on each GPR program? Ask current and former residents.

Is there published literature? I looked the info listed online at the ADA website, but it is too general and too formal. – each program has info, but again ask the residents.

How can I find out what each program really focuses on (implants, op, anesthesia...) I want the inside scoop, without having to visit the site and interrogate the current residents there. – no way around speaking to the residents… you can go to resident fairs but speaking directly to the residents is the best.

Thank you. I appreciate it.