PGY-1 advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drahmajuve

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a NON-US IMG intern in a community-based IM residency program. I am interested in Hem/Onc Fellowship, however, my program does not have an in-house fellowship, nor does it have a great record of its graduates matching in Hem/Onc ( They have a decent record in GI/Cardio and other competitive specialties though). A positive thing about my program is a connection to a large academic hospital nearby and an opportunity for me to do electives there in my 2nd and 3rd years.

As for myself, I am not exactly a stellar candidate :D No research experience, average step scores - Step 1 - 232; Step 2 CK - 247; Non-US IMG with J1 VISA.

So, I am getting ready for a very tough fellowship match and was wondering if any of you have been in a similar position and what did you do that increased your chances? Anything I can do in my PGY-1 year to increase my probability of matching?

Research is an obvious one, but is it possible to just engage in research after doing an elective in a large academic hospital, even if they liked you? Is that how that works? :D I am clueless

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.