PGY-1 (Prelim) Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roce33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a PGY-1 Internal Medicine prelim program. I am doing well, and want to continue Internal Medicine but my program won't tell anyone of us before March who they are gonna promote among us (there are a bunch of us). Some of us are applying again for PGY-1 spot this season. I am reluctant to repeat the intern year. I spoke to some seniors in the program who advised me to make it known that I intend to stay and not apply as it would be seen as a lack of interest (they would know it if you apply). I was told that it would also give the PD a sense of obligation to keep me if I keep doing well, and not apply. My question is how hard or easy its to find an off-cycle Internal Medicine PGY-2 if I take the risk of not applying, and didn't get promotion (Connections matter in our program, and I don't have any as of now).
Thank you for your advice

Members don't see this ad.

hhmmmmm .... they are encouraging you not to apply???????? that seems super fishy to me ... ... is there someone in the faculty who you could ask for advise from? I wouldn't base your decision based on what a few seniors suggest (in this circumstance).

Reactions: 1 user
About 3, 4 people advised me not to apply. They were in a similar situation in previous years and were promoted. Our program takes 3, 4 prelims who want to stay, but this year there are more people without advanced positions who would like to stay so there will be competition. I am told that it's not hard to find PGY-2 spots else where if not promoted. The impression I am getting is once you are in resident its easier to find another spot compared to finding a residency the first time.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in a similar boat. I am IM prelim intern and trying to find PGY-2 spot anywhere. The difference is that my program is encouraging us to apply elsewhere, and they have never taken a prelim again. I have heard different opinions from different people regarding the ease of getting PGY-2 slots. My question would be again, how hard is it to get into PGY-2 spot in IM. Secondly, if I want to find R-1 radiology or Neurology, will that be possible. My PD is kind enough to write me 3 LORs for IM, Neuro and Radiology. Please, guide me or attach the link of thread where it has already been discussed in the forums.

Thanks!

There are a reasonable number of IM PGY-2 positions that open up, but there is no central list. Programs don't always advertise them, starting as a PGY-2 in a new program can be very difficult. Your PD helping you find a spot can be very effective, but it all depends upon your background and why you matched into only a prelim. If you're interested in Neuro or Rads, you can apply for "R" or "Reserved" positions in the match -- these are PGY-2 positions (like Advanced or "A" positions) except that they start in July 2018 unlike "A" positions that would start July 2019. "R" positions are "A" positions from last year that were unfilled, or where someone dropped out / changed their mind, etc. You can only apply for "R" positions if you're currently in, or have completed, a PGY-1 already. You can also apply for traditional C and A positions in the match -- if you matched to an Advanced Rads residency, you'd have a gap year.

Reactions: 1 users