Funny....this is why I want to be in path...all the people with personalities are there!
I started in family medicine....thinking I could try and see if I like it...kind of thing. I was contemplating path all through 3rd and 4th year, but chose family because I wanted to work for myself in a smaller town. I originally thought the residency for pathology was too long with a fellowship almost required these days. I am 34 years old, and wanted to finish residency quickly and start to work. Now, I know I would be miserable if I actually do this kind of work. Should have stuck with my gut and stayed on course for a career in pathology.....my mistake.
I am going to quit my family residency at the end of this month and focus just on a pathology residency. I am scheduled to take the step 3 in October, so I can get it out of the way. Not holding my breath for an open pgy-1 spot, but I thought I would see what is out there.