PGY-1 vacation time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakesaw

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate if anyone could share any experiences or recommendations regarding PGY-1 vacation time.

Would there be a problem (in terms of future licensing, credentialing) taking 2 weeks of vacation during IM? It's only 16 weeks as it is, and I don't want to have any problems down the road regarding not fulfilling internship requirements.

And what about neuro? It seems 2 out of 8 weeks might be a bit much. Or would it?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd appreciate if anyone could share any experiences or recommendations regarding PGY-1 vacation time.

Would there be a problem (in terms of future licensing, credentialing) taking 2 weeks of vacation during IM? It's only 16 weeks as it is, and I don't want to have any problems down the road regarding not fulfilling internship requirements.

And what about neuro? It seems 2 out of 8 weeks might be a bit much. Or would it?

Thanks.

This will be program dependent. For example, I went to a program that only allowed you to take your PGY1 vacation during psych rotations. I wouldn't be suprised if you were to run into roughly the same thing where you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my program we are encouraged to take vacation during elective months, so there are no coverage issues. While we can take vacation during psych inpatient months that is usually not a good idea because you'd have to get the other intern to round for you everyday and no one wants to do that for a week.

We cannot take a vacation week during the inpatient medicine months, and while it is possible to take a week off during neurology you shouldn't take more. Remember, neurology is going to be at least 30% of your boards.

Good luck!

Each program is different, email or call on of the outgoing interns. Our let us take a week off in neuro and in addiction/geri/or CL depending on what we had first year Our medicine rotation was during the holidays so you poicked 4 days around X-Mas or 4 around New Years, .

:oops: Now hoever the interns can take vacation during inpatient monthsas long as you have enough people on the combined inpt services that (for example if there are 3 teams, the other 2 residents cover each half of your service plus their own. It sucks but then you do the same for them