SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

PGY-1 vacation time

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by jakesaw, May 15, 2007.

1. jakesaw

jakesaw Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 2, 2005
    I'd appreciate if anyone could share any experiences or recommendations regarding PGY-1 vacation time.

Would there be a problem (in terms of future licensing, credentialing) taking 2 weeks of vacation during IM? It's only 16 weeks as it is, and I don't want to have any problems down the road regarding not fulfilling internship requirements.

And what about neuro? It seems 2 out of 8 weeks might be a bit much. Or would it?

Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Left of Center
    This will be program dependent. For example, I went to a program that only allowed you to take your PGY1 vacation during psych rotations. I wouldn't be suprised if you were to run into roughly the same thing where you are.

4. jakesaw

jakesaw Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Thanks

5. Solideliquid

Solideliquid Members Only 5+ Year Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Closer than ever
    At my program we are encouraged to take vacation during elective months, so there are no coverage issues. While we can take vacation during psych inpatient months that is usually not a good idea because you'd have to get the other intern to round for you everyday and no one wants to do that for a week.

We cannot take a vacation week during the inpatient medicine months, and while it is possible to take a week off during neurology you shouldn't take more. Remember, neurology is going to be at least 30% of your boards.

Good luck!

6. TMFLA

TMFLA 2+ Year Member

May 16, 2007
    Each program is different, email or call on of the outgoing interns. Our let us take a week off in neuro and in addiction/geri/or CL depending on what we had first year Our medicine rotation was during the holidays so you poicked 4 days around X-Mas or 4 around New Years, .

:oops: Now hoever the interns can take vacation during inpatient monthsas long as you have enough people on the combined inpt services that (for example if there are 3 teams, the other 2 residents cover each half of your service plus their own. It sucks but then you do the same for them