PGY-2 applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been trying to find PGY-2 openings (I'm a transfer applicant) and I've reached out to most programs but can't find anything (except for those posted on AMA). If anyone has any info on unlisted spots anywhere, could you please PM me? I'm an AMG / MD grad in 2017, currently PGY-1 in a different specialty wanting to switch to psych. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not to discourage your PGY-2 search, but you will have easier success and more varied options if you also apply to PGY-1 psych positions. Depending on the nature of the program (does IM need psych for staffing reasons?), you may even get credit for your medicine/surgery months and be able to use that time for electives.

I did consider this option, however, it is too late now to pursue a PGY-1 position through the match. I would also be happy if anyone knows of vacant (off-cycle) PGY-1 positions!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are multiple threads on this. Several programs typically have PGY2 spots including UW, Hopkins, Maryland, UMN, Cornell. Yale used to not sure anymore. Several other programs frequently have PGY2 openings. Others still can create one. I would contact any programs of interest with your CV and a cover letter and they can contact you if they have openings. PGY2 spots are much less competitive so you have a good shot of getting into a very good program if you're half decent and flexible about location. It is quite late in the yr though.