PGY-2 schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if this is normal. I am not in the medical field. My fiance is doing his R2 and works more than 100 hrs/wk. He says that if he doesn't, nothing is finished. I thought the limit was 80 hrs/wk. Is it that demanding that a resident has to work 30 hrs. straight with no breaks, sleep, or food? I'm just wondering if he's too dedicated. Hope you doctors can give me some input.

Members don't see this ad.

short answer: yes, this is normal. depending on the program and how strictly adherent to the work restrictions they are, with travel, "last minute" floor work, and maybe catching the end of a case, it is altogether conceivable your doc may be gone a bunch. as far as 30hrs with no food... there have definitely been nights i was saved by a vending machine, but usually you can catch something on the run. and sleep... well, that's for chief year. surgical specialties in general have a "i did it when i went through, if you want to be tough, you'll get through it, too" kind of mentality, which is not necessarily bad. your guy just may need a little extra understanding when he is stressed and some consideration when he passes out on the couch post-call.

Thank you for your msg, FireGirl. I was hoping that he just needed to be more assertive and make himself go home. This is a LDR, we're on separate coasts and I'm trying to be as supportive as possible. The first time I went to his city to visit he was scheduled to get off at 7 a.m. I flew in at 5 a.m. and found my way to his place. At noon, I was still waiting to hear something. He tells me that there isn't even time to call me to let me know what's going on. I'm trying to not think he's being inconsiderate. Turned out he was in early morning surgery. What about scheduling vacation time? He only gets a weekend off every 3-4 months so it's difficult to plan anything. He was given a wk. off,but was told just wk before that he would have it off and because he was post call, he only had 6 days on my coast. Although this is his 2nd yr, it's his first yr at this institution. How does a couple on separate coasts plan any vacation together?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice comments firegirl.

Orthopaedic residency can be very rough with long hours. Chances are, it is not your fiance, but his residency. During my R2 year, I pulled many 130 hr. weeks. It is a mostly repressed year of my life, but I learned a TON. There is no substitute for the exposure you get by being there all the time.

Work hour limitation is an interesting concept. Residency does not lend itself to real-world practices. I would not encourage you to encourage your fiance to make a big issue out of it. The limitations have unknown ramifications for training. If you're not there, you're not learning or getting exposed/doing procedures. How about less hours and a 7 year residency? No thanks. I've got to be moving on.

I am married with two kids and it has been rough for my wife. She is not always understanding, but I understand. Residency can only be experienced - you can't tell someone meaningfully what it is like. I echo firegirl's comments: try to be understanding. Don't blame him. Leave him alone if he passes out.

Good luck on your long distance relationship. It's going to be tough, but hang in there and it will be over before you know it.

Ah, the insiders view by Kilgorian!!! This is great to know.

I have told him that his dedication will make him an awesome surgeon, and I want him to get everything he can out of the program. Other than asking him if he can request certain days off for vacation so we can plan something together, I feel I've been extremely supportive. I encourage him to sleep instead of chatting with me. I only care to say, "good night", andunderstand if he needs his own time to recoop. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the benefits of the long hours. Even when he was at UCSF for his internship, he would go in an hour early, just because he wanted to. He is not a very good communicator so what you tell me gives me a lot more. Thanks so much!

Kilgorian said:
Nice comments firegirl.

Orthopaedic residency can be very rough with long hours. Chances are, it is not your fiance, but his residency. During my R2 year, I pulled many 130 hr. weeks. It is a mostly repressed year of my life, but I learned a TON. There is no substitute for the exposure you get by being there all the time.

Work hour limitation is an interesting concept. Residency does not lend itself to real-world practices. I would not encourage you to encourage your fiance to make a big issue out of it. The limitations have unknown ramifications for training. If you're not there, you're not learning or getting exposed/doing procedures. How about less hours and a 7 year residency? No thanks. I've got to be moving on.

I am married with two kids and it has been rough for my wife. She is not always understanding, but I understand. Residency can only be experienced - you can't tell someone meaningfully what it is like. I echo firegirl's comments: try to be understanding. Don't blame him. Leave him alone if he passes out.

Good luck on your long distance relationship. It's going to be tough, but hang in there and it will be over before you know it.

Smile
Ah, the insiders view by Kilgorian!!! This is great to know.

I have told him that his dedication will make him an awesome surgeon, and I want him to get everything he can out of the program. Other than asking him if he can request certain days off for vacation so we can plan something together, I feel I've been extremely supportive. I encourage him to sleep instead of chatting with me. I only care to say, "good night", andunderstand if he needs his own time to recoop. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the benefits of the long hours. Even when he was at UCSF for his internship, he would go in an hour early, just because he wanted to. He is not a very good communicator so what you tell me gives me a lot more. Thanks so much!