PGY-2 spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbait

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently doing a prelim surgery year because I didn't match into one of the speciaities. I was wondering if any one knows a good way to find out how I can find PGY-2 general surgery spots for next year? I know that someone has to drop out somewhere as a PGY-1 this year for that to be possible... So, is there a better way to do this than writing to each programs individually to find out if someone dropped out? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

sharkbait said:
Hi everyone, I'm currently doing a prelim surgery year because I didn't match into one of the speciaities. I was wondering if any one knows a good way to find out how I can find PGY-2 general surgery spots for next year? I know that someone has to drop out somewhere as a PGY-1 this year for that to be possible... So, is there a better way to do this than writing to each programs individually to find out if someone dropped out? Thanks a lot.

There have been a couple posts on this subject in the last few months. Scrolling through the old posts should yield some information. My general advice is to reapply for a categorical intern spot - 300 US grads didn't match in general surgery this year and it's going to be quite competitive for any spot that comes open.

1) ask your current PD to keep and eye and ear open for you and potential spots

2) ask your PD and/or Program Coordinator to direct your attention to postings of positions. We get flyers from programs nearly every day which have either open positions, new positions, new fellowships, etc.

3) look on places like http://www.apds.org and http://www.careermd.com

for positions open.

4) contact programs you are interested in, send them your CV, ask them to contact you should a position open up, keep in touch (but don't badger them)

5) go through the match again next year