PGY1 Hours Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanageena

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone--
I am sure it varies slightly with each place, but I am wondering what type of hours you have. When are you expected there in the morning and when do you leave at night. How many nights are you on-call? Questions like that. Is it really as hellish as people say? I would be so grateful for any information that you can give me.
Thanks,
Shana

Members don't see this ad.

80 hours with very diverse scheduling. Very program dependent. You should not work more than 36 hours straight, and you should get one day a week off (at times averaged over a two week period, i.e. two days in a row off after 10-12 straight shifts. Yes - it is as bad as you hear, but much easier now than it was three years ago...

NinerNiner999 said:
80 hours with very diverse scheduling. Very program dependent. You should not work more than 36 hours straight, and you should get one day a week off (at times averaged over a two week period, i.e. two days in a row off after 10-12 straight shifts. Yes - it is as bad as you hear, but much easier now than it was three years ago...

and a cake walk to what it was like 10 years ago!
its interesting to hear what attendings (aka 'old timers') say about when they trained. it was just a diff era back then...