pgy1 switching fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ob2er

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After much thought, I realized I'm in the wrong field for me (obgyn) and would like to switch to ER. unfortunately, ive realized this too late for the match since it is mid-februrary.

any thoughts / suggestions on how to proceed next??

Members don't see this ad.

You couldn't match anyway (you can only go thru the match once). There is a website that lists open residency spots for PGY2's and beyond, but I can't think of it now. Im sure someone here will post it, but I'd start by talking to your PD and looking there.

Members don't see this ad :)
you could not submit a rank list and then just scramble for the er positon.

You couldn't match anyway (you can only go thru the match once). There is a website that lists open residency spots for PGY2's and beyond, but I can't think of it now. Im sure someone here will post it, but I'd start by talking to your PD and looking there.

This is not true. In fact, to get a PGY1 spot you would have to go through the match, or the scramble. I don't know if you can sign up for the NRMP now (in order to submit a rank list and scramble). The other thing to think about is if you really want to go to a program that ends up with a scramble spot.

You will likely need to start as a PGY1. They might give you some credit for your ob/gyn months, but likely not much, and any off service rotations you do. You should start by looking at the EM residency governing body website (not sure what this is) for requirements for going in as a PGY2 to see if this is possible.

Next I would talk to your PD and let them know they are going to have to replace you soon! Then talk to the EM PD at your hospital. This is probably the best way to get a spot for next year. Sometimes they can fit residents from other programs (but the same hospital) in somehow. They will also probably be able to help you navigate the process. It is very common to switch, and the PDs will be your best resources.

Good luck with everything!

This is not true. In fact, to get a PGY1 spot you would have to go through the match, or the scramble. I don't know if you can sign up for the NRMP now (in order to submit a rank list and scramble). The other thing to think about is if you really want to go to a program that ends up with a scramble spot.

You will likely need to start as a PGY1. They might give you some credit for your ob/gyn months, but likely not much, and any off service rotations you do. You should start by looking at the EM residency governing body website (not sure what this is) for requirements for going in as a PGY2 to see if this is possible.

Next I would talk to your PD and let them know they are going to have to replace you soon! Then talk to the EM PD at your hospital. This is probably the best way to get a spot for next year. Sometimes they can fit residents from other programs (but the same hospital) in somehow. They will also probably be able to help you navigate the process. It is very common to switch, and the PDs will be your best resources.

Good luck with everything!

Do not submit a match list. To match into an ob program with intentions of leaving immediately is completely unfair not only to the other people hoping for a match spot but for the entire program you match into.
It leaves the program in a lurch trying to find a candidate mid year and it gives them a reputation of having "residents who leave mid year" which can make it more difficult to match good candidates the following year. No one sees that you came into the program with the intention of leaving because you had decided to do ER before you ever matched.

As far as not wanting to go to a program that has to scramble; there are tons of good programs that are in the scramble every year and if you are flexible on where you want to go it shouldn't be a problem.

I apologize if my info above wasn't correct, I really thought it was, then again it is mardi gras and my head is scrambled. :eek: Good luck!

Do not submit a match list. To match into an ob program with intentions of leaving immediately is completely unfair not only to the other people hoping for a match spot but for the entire program you match into.
It leaves the program in a lurch trying to find a candidate mid year and it gives them a reputation of having "residents who leave mid year" which can make it more difficult to match good candidates the following year. No one sees that you came into the program with the intention of leaving because you had decided to do ER before you ever matched.

As far as not wanting to go to a program that has to scramble; there are tons of good programs that are in the scramble every year and if you are flexible on where you want to go it shouldn't be a problem.

Please reread the original post - the OP is currently in an OB/gyn program as a PGY1 and has now decided that he/she would like to change fields, namely from OB into EM. He/she is NOT considering matching into OB for this coming year and then transferring. Sheeesh.

Talk to a PD in EM, or some current residents in EM. There are some EM programs that purposely hold spots outside of the match for people transferring from other fields (I *think* UAB is one such program) - that may actually be your best bet at this point. However, at this time, you will be restricted to programs that routinely do this - the deadline for programs to submit their number of positions available in the match was Jan. 30th, so a program that might otherwise consider offering you a position would not be able to purposely take a position out of the match for you. My hesitation on scrambling would be that you might be so eager to get out of OB and into EM that you may be jumping from the frying pan into the fire without giving yourself enough time to really evaluate programs, evaluate your reasons for transferring specialties, etc.

My advice: 1) Talk to a PD in EM immediately, 2) Start working on a personal statement for EM, 3) Start finding letter writers for a new application to EM (you'll need these if you try to scramble, or if you try to find a position outside of the match), 4) Contact your med school to get your Dean's letter and transcript ready, and possibly your ERAS from last year, for the scramble or for applying for a spot outside the match.

Good luck!

what area are you looking in? could possibly help...

Where are you switching from? I am looking for a PGY2 position in OBGYN