PGY2 interview advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0tragichopeful0

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me as I am at a lost. My PGY1 training was severely interrupted due to 2 separate health reasons. Incidentally, another colleague abruptly left the program. When I got back, I heard a lot of my colleagues complaining bout how unhappy they were about cross covering. Since then, I had felt I was a burden, and thought less of - weak. I felt isolated. I understand that what was really happening and what I felt could have been entirely different. I even sought therapy but all the therapist did was listen, no advice. Because of the sadness I felt, I left my program after completing my PGY1 in 1/07. My PD has been supportive of me and also noted how my performance had greatly improved since my resignation.

The thing is, I just had an interview for a PGY2 in the same field, and the PD there wanted to know the nitty gritty of why I left. I said I was unhappy and he wanted to know why, so I told him. My husband says I should not have said that, but what else am I to say? I realize that other PDs will likely be asking the same thing..sigh..please help..

Members don't see this ad.

The thing is, I just had an interview for a PGY2 in the same field, and the PD there wanted to know the nitty gritty of why I left. I said I was unhappy and he wanted to know why, so I told him. My husband says I should not have said that, but what else am I to say? I realize that other PDs will likely be asking the same thing..sigh..please help..

Sorry to hear about the stuff you've been going through. PGY1 year is bad enough without having to deal with major health issues.

On the bright side, things do get better.

In terms of interviewing for PGYII transfer positions, the question "why are you transferring?" is going to be unavoidable. Certainly when asked the question, you could provide a response that is untruth or perhaps just not the full truth. But if you are transferring to a PGYII spot in the same field, then there will likely be a PD-to-PD conversation happening at some point, so this (in addition to whatever moral qualms you may have about lying or telling half-truths) should be enough to dissuade you from such a course of action. Fortunately, it sounds like your PD was supportive. That should help.

-AT.

Thank you for your kind words AT. I can only hope that a person who has learned from their errors seems appealing to a PD. I seem to have trouble finding available programs yet alone one that will interview me.

Maybe I should find a clinical research fellowship and reapply for PGY1 again.. sigh..