Position Swap PGY2 POSITION NY/NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr. swap

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I AM A PGY1 (INTERNAL MEDICINE) AT NASHVILLE, TENNESSE IN AN EXCELLENT COMMUNITY PROGRAM LOOKING FOR PGY2 POSITIONS IN NEW YORK/NEW JERSEY TO MOVE CLOSE TO FAMILY. KINDLY INBOX ME IF YOU ARE A PGY1 IN NY/NJ LOOKING FOR A PGY2 SWAP. THANK YOU.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am a PGY1 in family medicine program at upstate, NY. and willing to switch to IM. If you are interested please let me know. Thanks

I AM A PGY1 (INTERNAL MEDICINE) AT NASHVILLE, TENNESSE IN AN EXCELLENT COMMUNITY PROGRAM LOOKING FOR PGY2 POSITIONS IN NEW YORK/NEW JERSEY TO MOVE CLOSE TO FAMILY. KINDLY INBOX ME IF YOU ARE A PGY1 IN NY/NJ LOOKING FOR A PGY2 SWAP. THANK YOU.
I’m a pgy2 in NY, are you still interested?,

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a PGY1 in the Categorical, Internal medicine program at upstate, NY., and willing to switch to IM. If you are interested please let me know. Thanks

I am a PGY1 in the Categorical, Internal medicine program at upstate, NY., and willing to switch to IM. If you are interested please let me know. Thanks
The position was a mid PGY-1 position was available in Jan 2020. Even if it is still unfilled, it is now effectively a mid-PGY-2 position you would not be eligible for.

I am a PGY1 in FM in NJ. Looking to switch to IM PGY2. Email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Are you sure you can go from FM to IM PGY-2? I don’t think you can and may have to repeat PGY-1. How many rotations did you do on an actual IM rotation (not FM hospital medicine)? Unless you somehow got 6 months of an official IM residency sponsored rotation on your FM rotation you’re looking to do another year. I looked into this from the reverse perspective.
http://www.abim.org/certification/p...-subspecialty-policies/internal-medicine.aspx
3 months plus a cardiology elective. So if there was an open PGY1 IM position, would I be able to take it?

3 months plus a cardiology elective. So if there was an open PGY1 IM position, would I be able to take it?
You'd most likely have to do IM PGY-1 year again. According to the website:
  • Month-for-month credit for the internal medicine rotations that meet the criteria listed under (1) above PLUS
  • Maximum of six months' credit for the training in a family medicine.
Assuming you did 3 months of IM ward months (ABIM approved) at your FM program,according to this you may get 3+6 = 9 months of credit and theoretically may be able to find a late PGY-1 spot now until April you could slip into, but that's assuming a spot opens up for you which is kind of difficult to find and the PD who wants to take you is willing to accept those months which I don't think is a guarantee. You could also cold-call PDs once the dust of this scramble settles to see if you can secure a July 2021 PGY-1 spot. Ultimately you may have to apply again for PGY-1 positions in IM for July 2022. If you're still in a residency, I would highly suggest you continue it until the stars align as once you leave its hard to find work until you secure a new residency.

@NotAProgDirector would know better.

Last edited:
Very few IM PD's would give you 9 months of credit. You should plan to repeat your entire PGY-1 year. And you only can get more than 6 months of credit if there is an IM program at the site where your FM program is, and if the Cardiology rotations you did were exactly equivaent to what an IM intern would do.

And my advice in addition to what NAPD has said it if you're really set on this:

1.) Keep your FM residency position (don't leave). It will help that there hasn't been a gap in clinical experience and you will have your income stream. Keep posting trade offers like you're doing.
2.) Ask around for IM openings before July 1st 2021 to start this year as a PGY-1 once SOAP has settled.
3.) Be prepared to have to apply for ERAS 2021-22 in October 2021 for July 2022 IM PGY-1. Sometimes spots just don't open up.

Are you switching to IM due to an interest in fellowship? That would be the only fathomable reason because if your interest is adults you could always continue FM and focus on adults. If so, you're going to also want to find a university affiliated IM program and your best bet is with a July 2022 PGY-1 start. Most of the positions you will find mid year are not that.

Hi, im a pgy1 in Arkansas in a great program but am looking for a spot in the northeast to move closer to my wife. If interested lmk

Im a PGY-1 in Arkansas in a great program, looking for pgy2 spot in the northeast. If interested please lmk
I am interested. Please DM with more details. Thanks. I am in Upstate NY. PGY 1 IM categorical.