Pgy3 EM resident looking for program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dogdoc101383

Reaction score
I hate having to do this, but I am coming up on the 36 month deadline ABEM has set in order to complete residency and get boarded. I am desperately seeking to finish an EM residency and get boarded. Long story short, I was severely injured by a dog while volunteering at a dog shelter. I had severe NV injuries and basically no dexterity in my left hand. After a short LOA I was still unable to use my hand( intubate, suture etc) and I resigned my position. I was not fired and my program wanted me to stay. I am healed now with no lasting deficits and working as a full time urgent care doc. My skills are up to date and I am licensed in 3 states. I have LORs from my PD and 2 other faculty members. There have been no open positions listed on saem and I am feeling my EM career slipping away. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

AW

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you leave if they wanted you to stay? And will they not take you back?

Reactions: 1 users
I moved back home 15 hours away so my wife could work and support us. My PD was honestly pretty upset with me for leaving. We've repaired our relationship and stay in touch and like I said above he wrote me a good LOR. I would absolutely move back for a year if he allowed it, but I think I burned my bridges there unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I left because I did not feel safe dealing with patients especially out in the field on our resident response vehicle. Leaving was honestly the worst decision of my life and I regret it every day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's a very sad story. I'm sorry. I still think your best bet is your original program. Do you have any years of GME funding left? If so, wouldn't they be able to take you as an extra resident?

Reactions: 1 user
I'd beg your original PD. I really doubt you have many other options this far out with that kind of history. You could moonlight urgent care and offer him to pay for the spot in exchange for a chance to finish assuming your GME funding is empty.

Worst case scenario, at least you got enough experience to get licensed and can work urgent care. You'd be in much worse shape if this had happened your PGY 1 year.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone. It's a really crappy situation. Not the usual "I got fired as an intern because I sucked" story. My program director was honestly pretty pissed I resigned so for a while him and I had a tense relationship, but we've moved on and he seems to have cooled off somewhat. He wrote me a good LOR ( I had another PD/ mentor of mind read it). So we shall see. I am fully licensed and employed as an urgent care doc and have been looking into opening my own with a few med school friends. Obviously my fear is that in the future insurances will only participate with BC docs and I will be hosed. I actually really like doing UC because I get to do a bit more primary care, joint injections and the like that I enjoy doing so I am in a pretty solid practice situation. Thanks for the advice all, I plan to send my PD a " hail mary" email in the coming weeks so we shall see if that goes anywhere.

Thanks everyone. It's a really crappy situation. Not the usual "I got fired as an intern because I sucked" story. My program director was honestly pretty pissed I resigned so for a while him and I had a tense relationship, but we've moved on and he seems to have cooled off somewhat. He wrote me a good LOR ( I had another PD/ mentor of mind read it). So we shall see. I am fully licensed and employed as an urgent care doc and have been looking into opening my own with a few med school friends. Obviously my fear is that in the future insurances will only participate with BC docs and I will be hosed. I actually really like doing UC because I get to do a bit more primary care, joint injections and the like that I enjoy doing so I am in a pretty solid practice situation. Thanks for the advice all, I plan to send my PD a " hail mary" email in the coming weeks so we shall see if that goes anywhere.

Another option is getting boarded in occ med and prev med so you can still cover urgent care as part of your scope.

That's a very sad story. I'm sorry. I still think your best bet is your original program. Do you have any years of GME funding left? If so, wouldn't they be able to take you as an extra resident?

These are questions I plan to ask my old PD. I agreemy best bet is my original program but I feel like if they wanted me back at this point they would have asked me. My PD knows I regret leaving and that I'm in dire straits here. But we will see. I am going to send him a " hail mary" email and lay out my whole situation. He knows I'm sorry and now that I'm healed I'm hoping he will.givr me a second chance but I certainly doubt it

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out for you. Doesn’t FREIDA or ERAS have a page with all of the open PGY spots? Might be a good idea to check that out too and keep an eye on it.

Actually, I just noticed today on the SAEM residency vacancy site there's an open PGY-2 spot at HAEMR MGH/Brigham. Thought it was a great place when I was interviewing, maybe worth a shot

This is a terrible situation, man. Can you petition for ABEM to extend this deadline?

Look at all of the new EM programs opening up. They may allow you to finish your residency or wait a year or two to join their PGY3 class.

I see there is a consolidated list on here of new programs. I’ve tried this as well as cold calling programs all over my city (philly) and it seems like nobody is willing to pick me up.