PGY3 transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone hear of vacant PGY 3 spots.

I did PGY 1 IM in one hospital, transferred to another place for PGY2 and now would like to transfer to the third place where my fiance is. A little scared to bring this issue to the PD, don't want to make things worse than what it is, but at the same time don't know if many PGY 3 spots come available.

Would appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone hear of vacant PGY 3 spots.

I did PGY 1 IM in one hospital, transferred to another place for PGY2 and now would like to transfer to the third place where my fiance is. A little scared to bring this issue to the PD, don't want to make things worse than what it is, but at the same time don't know if many PGY 3 spots come available.

Would appreciate any input.

You are correct, not many PGY3 spots open up. The PGY-3 schedule in many programs is light in inpt work, so that if you're short a PGY-3 it doesn't make much of an impact. You can look at http://jobbank.im.org --- today there appears to be one PGY2/3 opening in Boston listed.

What about transfering as a PGY 2? What is the general procedure for doing this in the event that you want to leave after internship or contract not renewed? Is there alot of prejudice against people moving around?

Just wondering - is there any requirement by the ABIM for residents to spend a certain amount of time in the SAME program to be BE? Surgery requires the last two years currently and as of this year will not allow anyone training at more than 3 programs to be BE.

I was wondering that too. Would it hurt future jobs to have been at three residencies? Probably not in the community, but I would think it would kill an academic chance.
I would say tough it out personally, but it is your decision, and you know what you need to do for your relationship.
It may mean another year of residency though.