PGYII EM looking for 2010 CA-1 spot:)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrXtina

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im new to SDN but am in desperate need for advice and HELP! I am currently a PGYII Emergency Medicine resident in a good program. When I started I absolutely LOVED doing ER. I was the biggest advocate out there. Intern year was rough but I still loved it.

This year wore me down quite a bit though and Im starting to feel that inevitable ER burn-out everyone always talks about. Im starting to miss having a routine schedule, rigidity, etc. Im getting more and more annoyed with the constant disrespect from other fields. I want to start swearing at half the patients who come into the ER. Seriously? Suck it up and get out of the ER. Go see your primary care doctor. This is NOT what I signed up for. And nursing home dumps? Dont even get me started. Get the point?

I recently did some anesthesia shifts as part of a PICU rotation and immediately wanted to switch to anesthesia. It was love at first sight. I have spoken to several MDAs and they all love their job and seem so happy. The reason I went into ER in the first place was because I liked critical care and doing procedures. I feel like that makes up a small percentage of what I do. Why didnt I do anesthesia as a student?! Anyhow, now Im torn. Switch now? Look for a spot for this July? Finish ER and do Anesthesia when Im done? Suck it up and just do ER because its not THAT bad? I mean, another 3 years of residency and repeating ICU call months, another 3 years of a resident salary......its a huge decision.

Well, I think Im set on doing anesthesia. How do you go about entering another residency? Going through Match again seems unrealistic and impossible. Financially, I cant afford it. Career-wise.....too risky! Waiting until Match day of 2010 means not applying for an EM attending position and risking having no job in the end. So basically Im looking for programs who are willing to take me outside the match. I would ideally like to finish my residency since Im this far in, then I can be dually boarded in EM/Anesthesia. I should be able to skip the pre-lim year and go straight into a CA-1 position. Does anyone know which programs are not strictly 4 year categorical and would accept me outside the match for 2010?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What's an MDA?

Im new to SDN but am in desperate need for advice and HELP! I am currently a PGYII Emergency Medicine resident in a good program. When I started I absolutely LOVED doing ER. I was the biggest advocate out there. Intern year was rough but I still loved it.

This year wore me down quite a bit though and Im starting to feel that inevitable ER burn-out everyone always talks about. Im starting to miss having a routine schedule, rigidity, etc. Im getting more and more annoyed with the constant disrespect from other fields. I want to start swearing at half the patients who come into the ER. Seriously? Suck it up and get out of the ER. Go see your primary care doctor. This is NOT what I signed up for. And nursing home dumps? Dont even get me started. Get the point?

I recently did some anesthesia shifts as part of a PICU rotation and immediately wanted to switch to anesthesia. It was love at first sight. I have spoken to several MDAs and they all love their job and seem so happy. The reason I went into ER in the first place was because I liked critical care and doing procedures. I feel like that makes up a small percentage of what I do. Why didnt I do anesthesia as a student?! Anyhow, now Im torn. Switch now? Look for a spot for this July? Finish ER and do Anesthesia when Im done? Suck it up and just do ER because its not THAT bad? I mean, another 3 years of residency and repeating ICU call months, another 3 years of a resident salary......its a huge decision.

Well, I think Im set on doing anesthesia. How do you go about entering another residency? Going through Match again seems unrealistic and impossible. Financially, I cant afford it. Career-wise.....too risky! Waiting until Match day of 2010 means not applying for an EM attending position and risking having no job in the end. So basically Im looking for programs who are willing to take me outside the match. I would ideally like to finish my residency since Im this far in, then I can be dually boarded in EM/Anesthesia. I should be able to skip the pre-lim year and go straight into a CA-1 position. Does anyone know which programs are not strictly 4 year categorical and would accept me outside the match for 2010?

What's an MDA?