PH and EHS Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlimSwadey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to go to Optoemtry school once I graduate from my undergraduate college. My original major was Public Health with a pre-professional concentration. However, my advisor advised me to switch to Environmental Health Science for my major, so I did. However, now they are saying that I should both as a double major, but does anyone actually see that as being helpful? The EHS doesn't have a pre-professional track, so if I do EHS I will have to double major, but if I do PH I will only have to do that major.

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to go to Optoemtry school once I graduate from my undergraduate college. My original major was Public Health with a pre-professional concentration. However, my advisor advised me to switch to Environmental Health Science for my major, so I did. However, now they are saying that I should both as a double major, but does anyone actually see that as being helpful? The EHS doesn't have a pre-professional track, so if I do EHS I will have to double major, but if I do PH I will only have to do that major.
Double majoring will probably ever so slightly help you in getting you into optometry school. You can major in anything as pre-med, pre-dent, or pre-opt as long as you complete the pre-req course requirements for the program(s) and/or school(s) you wish to apply to.

So I’d say if you’re interested in the two majors then do it as long as you can keep your gpa up and knock out pre-req courses. Otherwise, there is no need to if you don’t want to. It’s up to you. Maybe the majors align with each other well in that you just have to take a few extra courses and that’s why your advisor advised this.