Step I Pharm and Physio EQUATIONS

Started by stronghold
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stronghold

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How to memorize those equations? every time I see them and have an example, I can carry it out easily. However, when I just move to questions at the end of the chapter, I can not remember anything!!
 
How to memorize those equations? every time I see them and have an example, I can carry it out easily. However, when I just move to questions at the end of the chapter, I can not remember anything!!

Simple: repetition.

stuff that you're weak on, especially equations - which imo, are easy points on the exam; with an exception to some of the biostats question, should be all easy points.

write them out every morning right before you start studying. yeah, there's a lot, but when you get that x > 260, you really won't care. also, try to understand what you're solving for, that'll make the ease of getting absorbed into your mammillary bodies easier. :naughty:
 
I suggest doing practice questions from outside of Uworld, if you have exhausted Uworld: The Katzung and Lange Pharm book is good. The Guyton physio review book is good.

Here's all the Pharm equations I needed for my class's PK test (note that I also go to lecture, so this is a summary of learning, not the process of learning):


t1/2 = .7 x Vd / CL
C_ss = Infusion rate / CL
Infusion rate_ss = Rate of elim_ss = CL x TC / F
CL = dose / AUC = Rate of elim / C = Vmax / (Km + C)
Rate of elim = CL x C = Vmax x C / (Km + C)
Loading dose = Vd x Css / F = Maint dose x F
Maint dose = Dosing rate x Intv
AF = 1 / %(LOST in 1 Intv)
PeakCss = PeakC1 x AF
pH - pK = log [deprot] / [prot] ; A- / AH ; B / BH+
pH > pK ---> DEPROTONATE (ionize weak acids in base, ionize weak bases in acid)
 
How to memorize those equations? every time I see them and have an example, I can carry it out easily. However, when I just move to questions at the end of the chapter, I can not remember anything!!

I have not run into a UWorld question that didn't use an equation in the back of FA (or one you could derive very easily). Just write those out a bunch and you should be set.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad