-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Pharm.D. 1 and Pharm.D. 2?
Started by btpayne13
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I read in a book that pharmacy schools grant different Pharm.D. degrees, such as Pharm.D. 1 for the first degree granted to a student and Pharm.D. 2 for the postbachelor degree. Do these degrees mean anything different? What's the point of having them?
What book? You don't get a degree just for being a student, that's a little ridiculous. You can apply to be an intern, but that's just a type of certification.
I read in a book that pharmacy schools grant different Pharm.D. degrees, such as Pharm.D. 1 for the first degree granted to a student and Pharm.D. 2 for the postbachelor degree. Do these degrees mean anything different? What's the point of having them?
Maybe the "Pharm D 2" is like an accelerated/non-tradional program. Some schools offer what's called a non-traditional PharmD which is for people that gained a degree in pharmacy (4 or 5 year program I believe?) before the PharmD became the standard for the profession. It's like an accelerated program so these pharmacists can "upgrade" so to speak to a professional doctorate degree. The "PharmD 1" is probably referring to the tradional PharmD route i.e. complete pre-reqs (maybe a bachelor's degree in science/other field) then attend pharmacy school for 4 (sometimes 3) years. Either way I've never heard it termed at PharmD 1 and 2 before.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe the "Pharm D 2" is like an accelerated/non-tradional program. Some schools offer what's called a non-traditional PharmD which is for people that gained a degree in pharmacy (4 or 5 year program I believe?) before the PharmD became the standard for the profession. It's like an accelerated program so these pharmacists can "upgrade" so to speak to a professional doctorate degree. The "PharmD 1" is probably referring to the tradional PharmD route i.e. complete pre-reqs (maybe a bachelor's degree in science/other field) then attend pharmacy school for 4 (sometimes 3) years. Either way I've never heard it termed at PharmD 1 and 2 before.
I don't believe that's true. All pharmacists that graduate from an accredited pharmacy school are PharmDs regardless of program or school. Originally pharmacists didn't get PharmD, they graduated with a BS and got licensed and are recognized as RPh or Registered Pharmacist. In practice there almost no difference between PharmD and RPh is most settings.
I shudder to think why we would need to have different classes of PharmD.
I read in a book that pharmacy schools grant different Pharm.D. degrees, such as Pharm.D. 1 for the first degree granted to a student and Pharm.D. 2 for the postbachelor degree. Do these degrees mean anything different? What's the point of having them?
In this case, Pharm D1 is any student without a degree in pharmacy (0-6, 2+4 routes). Pharm D2 is post-bachelor in Pharmacy (not any bachelors). Pharm D2 is for RPh going PharmD. It's the same degree at the end of the day.
In this case, Pharm D1 is any student without a degree in pharmacy (0-6, 2+4 routes). Pharm D2 is post-bachelor in Pharmacy (not any bachelors). Pharm D2 is for RPh going PharmD. It's the same degree at the end of the day.
Citation? There are no PharmD D1 or D2 degrees. I don't think you'll ever find someone who identifies himself as such. Personally, I'm holding out for the PharmD D3.
Maybe the "Pharm D 2" is like an accelerated/non-tradional program. Some schools offer what's called a non-traditional PharmD which is for people that gained a degree in pharmacy (4 or 5 year program I believe?) before the PharmD became the standard for the profession. It's like an accelerated program so these pharmacists can "upgrade" so to speak to a professional doctorate degree. The "PharmD 1" is probably referring to the tradional PharmD route i.e. complete pre-reqs (maybe a bachelor's degree in science/other field) then attend pharmacy school for 4 (sometimes 3) years. Either way I've never heard it termed at PharmD 1 and 2 before.
yea u r right cuz in canada v still have BS in pharmacy as an entry level and then you can pursue Pharm D as a post bachelor degree
Pics or it didn't happen.
As P4Sci would say: "Pics or GTFO"
Awesome. Seriously though, I have never heard of the terms PharmD1 and PharmD2. I wouldn't worry about it in any case.Pics or it didn't happen.
The book is Opportunities in Pharmacy Careers (published in 2004, Revised Edition is what I have, if that makes a difference) by Fred B. Gable. It states (p. 41):
Pharmaceutical educators have adopted a jargon that differentiates doctor of pharmacy degrees according to the manner in which they were earned. Pharm.D. degrees earned as first and only professional degrees, via completion of "straight thru" curricula of two years of prepharmacy and four years of professional courses, are referred to as Pharm.D.1 degrees. Pharm.D. degrees earned as postbaccalaureate degrees, via completion of additional study as prescribed by a pharmacy school, are referred to as Pharm.D. 2 degrees.
Pharmaceutical educators have adopted a jargon that differentiates doctor of pharmacy degrees according to the manner in which they were earned. Pharm.D. degrees earned as first and only professional degrees, via completion of "straight thru" curricula of two years of prepharmacy and four years of professional courses, are referred to as Pharm.D.1 degrees. Pharm.D. degrees earned as postbaccalaureate degrees, via completion of additional study as prescribed by a pharmacy school, are referred to as Pharm.D. 2 degrees.
I wonder if it is referring to a RPh that goes back and gets a PharmD degree. I think the University of Florida has a program geared toward practicing pharmacists who earned their degree and started practicing before PharmD became the standard degree. The PharmD 1 and 2 could be that books way of designating between the two.
It seems that no one or very few people know about the Pharm.D. 1 and Pharm.D.2. They don't really mean anything when it comes to practicing pharmacy, right?
That's because they DON'T officially exist. The author of the book uses it, probably just so he can refer to the different pathways. If it was true you would be able to find people with business cards or diplomas with PharmD D1 or D2, or jobs specifically for D1 or D2. Just google it, they don't exist.
Definitely no such thing.
Just scan the book or link us to an online source and maybe we can explain to you what the hell you're looking at.
Just scan the book or link us to an online source and maybe we can explain to you what the hell you're looking at.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The book's at http://www.amazon.com/Opportunties-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270873332&sr=8-1Definitely no such thing.
Just scan the book or link us to an online source and maybe we can explain to you what the hell you're looking at.
I actually used that book as a reference when I had to do a research presentation on a profession for my public speaking pre-req. I obviously did pharmacists. However, I don't remember reading anything about a PharmD1 or 2. If you still have the book, just transcribe a couple sentences so we can see the context of it. I'm pretty sure he must have used numbers to describe different paths or something, I'm sure it doesn't exist.
Well then, it looks like we may all have to email Mr Fred Gable lol
I have never, ever heard of that before
Weird.
I asked the pharmacists I work with about that. They said they never heard about that. Doesn't seem to matter then.
Similar threads
- Question
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 4K