Pharm D/+ MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ST440

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a retail pharmacist. Recently I got accepted into a graduate school for Master in Public Health. The concentration is Epidemiology and Bio statistic. Can anyone gives me a heads up that what kind of job opportunity will be available after I graduate? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

what was your intention for getting the degree? You didn't have a clear goal? Will you be working + school or school only?

I will be working full time and taking night classes.

I have always interested in the analytic aspect of the pharmacy, like why do we say this drug works, how well it works exactly, ....The concentration I pick will give me a good skill set in this area. Hopefully I will be involved in clinical trail. I just do not a specific position out there

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a retail pharmacist. Recently I got accepted into a graduate school for Master in Public Health. The concentration is Epidemiology and Bio statistic. Can anyone gives me a heads up that what kind of job opportunity will be available after I graduate? Thank you.

I think that it may open some doors for you in academic pharmacy and put you in a better position to get involved with clinical trials. If I had not gone to medical school, I would have either done a residency or position myself into a more public health oriented role --- MPH.

Having an extra degree is not beneficial unless you also do post grad training like residency and fellowship. You need to get practical experience.

You need to think about this. Taking on more debt without a clear goal is not the answer.

Don't listen to these haters. Since when is trying to better yourself a stupid idea? Only to a stupid h03 i would imagine. In all actuality, having these two degrees under your belt make you attractive to agencies like the Center for Disease Control (CDC). I had a chance to work there while I was pursuing my PharmD. Upon finishing my internship they offered many students a job who had the MPH degree. They do have pharmacists working there but they have PharmD and MPH together. Its almost like a requirement. But it was a great experience, you are around highly intelligent and polite people (unlike many on these boards) and you get to work for the feds and live in Atlanta! Good luck.

Don't listen to these haters. Since when is trying to better yourself a stupid idea? Only to a stupid h03 i would imagine. In all actuality, having these two degrees under your belt make you attractive to agencies like the Center for Disease Control (CDC). I had a chance to work there while I was pursuing my PharmD. Upon finishing my internship they offered many students a job who had the MPH degree. They do have pharmacists working there but they have PharmD and MPH together. Its almost like a requirement. But it was a great experience, you are around highly intelligent and polite people (unlike many on these boards) and you get to work for the feds and live in Atlanta! Good luck.

ok lets be practical, there is 1 CDC and it's only in one city in the US. we are just trying to help the guy out. If I were you, I would start emailing people/connections and say "hey fyi I'm pursuing an MPH now" and ask for advice/open conversations with people so 2 yrs later when you are done with your degree you will hopefully know of places to apply and where to look for jobs. Do that during your MPH otherwise you'll be doing that after you graduate and you'll waste time. Try to get an internship out of the MPH too (although I think it's required that MPH programs have a practimum aka internship). can you work in your current retail company in some kind of outcomes office?