Pharm.d. vs Ph.d.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipharmacist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers, i am sorry if there is similar thread before, anyway my stat. is the following:

Bs in Pharmaceutical Sciences since 2006 (which is enough to practice as a licensed in my country)

MHA (Master of Hospital Admin.) since 2012

6 years of working experience as a licensed military pharmacist in my country

31 years old and father of 2 children

i do not have a plan to work as academic currently (i could work in research)

i noticed that pharmacists with pharm.d is highly respectful and got good jobs and money

what do you think guys to pick up? pharm.d + (pgy1 & pgy2) or ph.d in pharmacy administration or in pharmaco-economy????

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDNers, i am sorry if there is similar thread before, anyway my stat. is the following:

Bs in Pharmaceutical Sciences since 2006 (which is enough to practice as a licensed in my country)

i noticed that pharmacists with pharm.d is highly respectful and got good jobs and money

what do you think guys to pick up? pharm.d + (pgy1 & pgy2) or ph.d in pharmacy administration or in pharmaco-economy????

If you ask me, I will say pharm.d + (pgy1 & pgy2) based on my years of working in academic research and having a handful of friends who are postdoc and graduate students.

If you ask me, I will say pharm.d + (pgy1 & pgy2) based on my years of working in academic research and having a handful of friends who are postdoc and graduate students.

Thanx a lot, waiting for more openions

Members don't see this ad :)

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a pharmacist, just get your doctorate of pharmacy, aka, pharmD. Don't get your phD in pharmacy, that will be a waste of time and money. A pharmD will guarantee you a job as a pharmacist. If you want to go into research for a drug company and like invent some new type of medication, then get your phD in pharmaceutical studies.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a pharmacist, just get your doctorate of pharmacy, aka, pharmD. Don't get your phD in pharmacy, that will be a waste of time and money. A pharmD will guarantee you a job as a pharmacist. If you want to go into research for a drug company and like invent some new type of medication, then get your phD in pharmaceutical studies.

A PhD in pharmacoeconomics probably won't lead to drug design.

It will, however, open doors to jobs in government organizations, nationally and internationally.

OP, you should get the PharmD. if you go into a PhD program that your heart isn't into, you may go insane. Also, to research you need money. And unless you're working somewhere like the NIH or FDA, you'll get it from academia...where you WILL have to teach.