pharm question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, how real is "unopposed" alpha1 stimulation in terms of COFFEE and a non-specific B-blockade?

Is this more theoretical? Or is it something that will really drive up BP??

I can see the problem with something like phenylephrine and propranolol, but coffee?? (I realize caffeine has multiple MOAs, only one of which is potentiation of E/NE)

Members don't see this ad.

As a pre-med student, took a pharmacology class taught by one of the dudes that did some of the original LSD studies on soldiers in the USA, He always said that most of us were going to end up being doctors and prescribing meds to our pts, so take the meds yourself that you prescribe your pts rather than reading booring Goodman and Gilman. That's all I needed to hear. Got my hands on some Mellaril, valium, trazadone and other psychotropics from dear ole uncle. Never did develop any rabbit mouth/tongue movements but I betcha my girlfriends at the time wish I did. So dude, round up some Inderal and drink some coffee and let us know how the experiment goes, it's all good. Regards, ----Zippy

Never did develop any rabbit mouth/tongue movements

Which drug gives you that? I interviewed a guy with that and it was really hard not to stare at it. I couldn't even follow the conversation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the 1st generation anti-psychotics gave you the tardive dyskinesia. Drugs like Mellaril, Thorazine, Stelazine, Haldol and Prolixin. Get yourself hooked in tight on a couple of these mind benders with several "wash and wear" canvas straightjackets coupled with "strange behavior" and ya had your 100% service connected VA disability. Liveable coin back in the day! Regards, ---Zip

Sorry Urge, but I got a visual that reminded me of an old SNL skit... Hells Bells, if I were female and interviewing that guy you did, I'd grab that mofo's head by his ears and push him towards my crotch, we'll talk about anesthesia some other time... LOL Regards, ---Zip

As a pre-med student, took a pharmacology class taught by one of the dudes that did some of the original LSD studies on soldiers in the USA, He always said that most of us were going to end up being doctors and prescribing meds to our pts, so take the meds yourself that you prescribe your pts rather than reading booring Goodman and Gilman. That's all I needed to hear. Got my hands on some Mellaril, valium, trazadone and other psychotropics from dear ole uncle. Never did develop any rabbit mouth/tongue movements but I betcha my girlfriends at the time wish I did. So dude, round up some Inderal and drink some coffee and let us know how the experiment goes, it's all good. Regards, ----Zippy

Well, at least you got to put the tardive dyskinesia to good "use".....lol

Not sure what I'd do with my hypertensive crisis though....