Digsbe

7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
Your GPA is lower than average, but it's not in a range that would be considered unacceptable or make you uncompetitive. I think your work experience and extracurriculars will be a plus.Do well on the PCAT especially in areas where you may appear to be weak in as far as grades are concerned. You still have a shot.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
Hey guys, I am new to this forum, but I have learned a lot fairly quickly thanks to all you guys! I am actually a senior and plan to graduate this May. I messed up my gpa my second year and 1 semester of my third year of college and currently I am standing at a 3.09 cgpa and 2.75 sgpa. However, I have been showing an upward trend the last couple of semesters (got all A's last semester) and hopefully I will continue this semester. If I do well this semester, I believe I can bring my cgpa up to a little above 3.15. I have shadowed pharmacists and I have great LOR's and volunteer experience. I am also currently doing some research with a College of Medicine Professor, and I currently work at a hospital on the weekends. I have not taken the PCAT yet and I want to hopefully take a gap year before I start professional school. What do you guys think I should do? Re-take some of those classes I got C's in like Gen Chem 2 and Microbio or no? And what score on the PCAT do you guys think would make me competitive? Thank You for any and all responses in advance.
Adding a 80+ PCAT to everything you mentioned would help a lot. You would have a decent shot at getting into low/mid tier schools.

If your pharmacy prerequisites are generally high then you should be fine at that point. However, if you do have C's in the important classes then you should probably retake them if you want a better shot at more solid schools.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
Ok, Thank You so much for your responses! The only prerequisites I got C's in are Gen Chem 1 and Gen Chem 2 which was a while ago. All the rest of the prereqs are either A's or B's (mostly A's). Do you guys think I should retake the Gen Chems or leave it? If so, would re-taking them at a community college look bad? I am sure this time around, I can do way better in them . I am hopefull to get into a pharmacy school in the state of Illinois. What do you guys think my chances are? Once again, thanks for all your responses..
What did you get in Organic Chemistry 1 and 2? (And labs?)

intekmdma

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Pharmacist
Adding a 80+ PCAT to everything you mentioned would help a lot. You would have a decent shot at getting into low/mid tier schools.

If your pharmacy prerequisites are generally high then you should be fine at that point. However, if you do have C's in the important classes then you should probably retake them if you want a better shot at more solid schools.
I don't think you should take the class over if you have an opportunity to take a harder class of the same material and earn a better score.

For example, instead of re-taking general chemistry, you can take an upper division physical chemistry

JohnFe

Paranoid Member
Dec 2, 2012
SoCal
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think you should take the class over if you have an opportunity to take a harder class of the same material and earn a better score.

For example, instead of re-taking general chemistry, you can take an upper division physical chemistry
Physical Chemistry is ridiculous. It is a mixture of chemistry, calculus and physics! ;) You've been warned :D