inquirer89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
I am about to enter my p1 year, and depending on how much studying pharmacy school will require of me, I may join some extracurriculars to meet people and do things other than academics. Anyone recommend any good pharmacy organizations? And is joining a pharmacy fraternity worth it?

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I am about to enter my p1 year, and depending on how much studying pharmacy school will require of me, I may join some extracurriculars to meet people and do things other than academics. Anyone recommend any good pharmacy organizations? And is joining a pharmacy fraternity worth it?
There's only one you should hope for.

RHO CHI.

And not LO CHI!

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status
Pharmacist
It depends on how your school has the organizations structured, what your interests are, and what you plan on doing when you get out.
I joined APSA which is an umbrella organization containing ASHP/APhA student chapters and their state counterparts. I also joined AMCP which focuses on managed care and figure it couldn't hurt to pick up some of the pharmacoecon they tend to stress. If you want to do independent pharmacy you could always join NCPA (which has a forum on here). There's also SIA if you want to go industry. Then there are the ethnic clubs. At our school we have KAPSA (Korean American pharmacy student association) VAPSA (Vietnamese), ChAPSA (Chinese), SNPhA (URMs). As for frats, it depends. Most schools have at least one, some two or three. I joined one, and I've been pleased with it, but it's not for everyone.

For those not familiar with the alphabet soup, it's probably best to read FAQs as most if not all of these organizations are mentioned. I believe the frats also have a post in the FAQs.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status
Pharmacist
There's only one you should hope for.

RHO CHI.

And not LO CHI!
Rho Chi is over-rated.:smuggrin:
Phi Lambda Sigma is probably a good one to join.

OP
I

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Thanks all for the replys. I want to join at least one professional organization and one pharmacy fraternity. Are the fraternities similar to undergrad, in that there are initiation ceremonies and stuff, or are they more professional oriented? My school has Phi Delta Chi, Kappa Psi, Phi Lambda Sigma, and Kappa Epsilon (which is for women).

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Thanks all for the replys. I want to join at least one professional organization and one pharmacy fraternity. Are the fraternities similar to undergrad, in that there are initiation ceremonies and stuff, or are they more professional oriented? My school has Phi Delta Chi, Kappa Psi, Phi Lambda Sigma, and Kappa Epsilon (which is for women).
A little of both, more professionally oriented though.

KAPPA PSI!!!!!

That is all, we now return to previously scheduled programming..