Pharm-something?

Started by 347028
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

3

347028

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am an undergraduate student majoring in pre-pharmacy right now. I am not sure whether or not I want to go into pharmacy for sure and have the next six years (two years of undergrad, four of pharmacy school) of my life locked into place. I'm considering working in pharmacology if not pharmacy. I know that pharmacy has a lot of options such as being an oncopharmacist or working in a nuclear pharmacy, but I have always been inspired and interested in research, which, from what I have read, does not exactly go with the pharmacy occupation. Anyone have any advice on this?
 
PhD in pharmacology typically takes more years of schooling than for getting a PharmD. Also, as a pharmacists you can get a job doing research.
 
Taking your post I assume you are an incoming freshman. Am I correct?
You are just starting your undergrad career so you have so many options at your feet. Shadow different professions and find what you enjoy. Don't lock yourself into one path before you even start school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advice: Choose a real major based on interest and finish it. Meantime, explore your options. Just before you are done, decide on the next step.

Research is usually the realm of PhDs. PhD programs require a BA/BS.
 
Hello, I am an undergraduate student majoring in pre-pharmacy right now. I am not sure whether or not I want to go into pharmacy for sure and have the next six years (two years of undergrad, four of pharmacy school) of my life locked into place. I'm considering working in pharmacology if not pharmacy. I know that pharmacy has a lot of options such as being an oncopharmacist or working in a nuclear pharmacy, but I have always been inspired and interested in research, which, from what I have read, does not exactly go with the pharmacy occupation. Anyone have any advice on this?

Hey, well if you're a freshman/sophomore, maybe consider majoring (or minoring) in Chemistry as a backup instead of just specializing straight into a pharmacy related field. With Chemistry, you will be taking a few classes to help you apply to pharm school if you do decide to go that path OR it could also help you find a passion in research you may not have thought you would be able to find without taking those specific classes.

At least at the school I attended, there were more options for Chemistry students than "pharmacology" students since the Chemistry research department was considered more "established" since it had been around for a lot longer. This helped in terms of providing more options.