pharm tech certification in nyc help!

Started by AtomicLuv
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AtomicLuv

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi all.
does anyone have any idea how to become certified as a pharm tech in nyc? I have searched schools online but I am still lost.
does anyone know any programs in nyc (5 boroughs) or binghamton, NY for pharmacy certification?
advice very much appreciated!!!

thanks!
🙂
 
There is a national certification thats called Cpht (certified Pharmacy tech). www.ptcb.org

The exam is about $120 . If you're reasonably smart enough you can buy some books on the internet and study for it. I am taking my exam on July 22nd and I am in NJ.

Now if you want to do a course in a college... at the end of it you have to still take that exam. The college route takes longer generally but maybe you'll have a better chance of employment, if you're looking at this as a career which i don't know if you are.
 
UICpremed said:
There is a national certification thats called Cpht (certified Pharmacy tech). www.ptcb.org

The exam is about $120 . If you're reasonably smart enough you can buy some books on the internet and study for it. I am taking my exam on July 22nd and I am in NJ.

Now if you want to do a course in a college... at the end of it you have to still take that exam. The college route takes longer generally but maybe you'll have a better chance of employment, if you're looking at this as a career which i don't know if you are.

I am looking at this as a way for a job while I am in undergrad, I want to ultimately become a pharmacist.
as long as you're certified, it doesnt matter if you took a college course?
when you put on your resume that your a certified pharm tech, do you put how you got there? also, how hard is it to then find a pharm tech job once you're certified?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AtomicLuv said:
I am looking at this as a way for a job while I am in undergrad, I want to ultimately become a pharmacist.
as long as you're certified, it doesnt matter if you took a college course?
when you put on your resume that your a certified pharm tech, do you put how you got there? also, how hard is it to then find a pharm tech job once you're certified?

by the way thanks for the info! 😀
 
Kingsborough Community College has a pharmacy technician program(which I m taking it right now). It is a program of continuing education and once you passed the program, you are good to go and able to take the certificated exam~
 
I studied online at Gatlin Education Service (#USD 1600) and passed PTCB exam on Mar 2006.
 
ngynththo said:
I studied online at Gatlin Education Service (#USD 1600) and passed PTCB exam on Mar 2006.

The program I mentioned above costs roughly $500 (test fee is not included)
 
Check other CUNY schools as well, I know LaGuardia CC has a program that prepares you for the stadartized test to become Pharm Tech.