pharm tech certification via online program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SunflowerTea

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am about to register with Gatlin Education Service for the pharmacy tech. program (cost $1600). I doing my best to get into Pharmacy school, but nothing has worked yet. So I think I need to add a pharm.tech certification so that it show some progress for re-applying to next year program. I would like to know if anyone on SDN have received their pharm.tech certification through an online program? Would you share your experience? Is this the way to go about getting a license?
 
I studied on my own and took the test. I bought a really good review book at Barnes and Noble. If you look around, you'll be able to find one that you like. If you already have a lot of math experience (especially the math experience from chemistry), I think you'll do fine just studying on your own....well, at least for me that background was helpful. I don't see why you would want to spend $1600 on a pharm tech course if you can study on your own. Unless you feel that you would prepare yourself better in a course. Good luck! 🙂
 
I used pharmacytrainer.com (cost about 79.00 for the online review I selected) and bought the Delmar's Pharm Tech review book. I studied for about 6 weeks sporadically and scored a 875/900 on the exam. If you've taken gen chem and are ok with conversions I am sure you can pass the test with flying colors using self study. I had worked in a pharmacy for less than a month when I took the exam, so I had no outstanding knowledge base either. There are probably better review guides out there than the Delmar book, the math section had many errors in it, but I really liked the pharmacy trainer web site. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SunflowerTea said:
I am about to register with Gatlin Education Service for the pharmacy tech. program (cost $1600). I doing my best to get into Pharmacy school, but nothing has worked yet. So I think I need to add a pharm.tech certification so that it show some progress for re-applying to next year program. I would like to know if anyone on SDN have received their pharm.tech certification through an online program? Would you share your experience? Is this the way to go about getting a license?

I know some states require some schooling before you can take the exams. If you are not from such a state, you can probably do what others have suggested. I used Noah Reifman (Comprehensive Review for Pharm Tech.) And I aced it even though I studied critically for 1 month. Unless the test has changed since I took it, that is a helpful book.

Man, 1600 sure is lots of money
 
Gizmo said:
I studied on my own and took the test. I bought a really good review book at Barnes and Noble. If you look around, you'll be able to find one that you like. If you already have a lot of math experience (especially the math experience from chemistry), I think you'll do fine just studying on your own....well, at least for me that background was helpful. I don't see why you would want to spend $1600 on a pharm tech course if you can study on your own. Unless you feel that you would prepare yourself better in a course. Good luck! 🙂

Gizmo,

After preparing for the test, where do you go to take the exam? Is it through registering on this website: www.ptcb.org?
 
buddyluv said:
I know some states require some schooling before you can take the exams. If you are not from such a state, you can probably do what others have suggested. I used Noah Reifman (Comprehensive Review for Pharm Tech.) And I aced it even though I studied critically for 1 month. Unless the test has changed since I took it, that is a helpful book.

Man, 1600 sure is lots of money

buddyluv,

I am from California. Do you know if they would require a school on the application??? I know that when I was applying for the California license in 2001 (before 2001, you were allow to get a pharm.tech certification if you have a BS degree in life science...I applied in Jan 2001 and it was too late b/c the law changed in Jan 2001) they required that I state where i earned my hours in pharm.tech program.
 
Glycerin said:
Yes, register through PTCB. Don't waste your money on a $1600 pharm tech program. No schooling is involved in becoming nationally certified.


Under "School/Training Program Code [Box 16]"...
Since I didn't attend any school, do I put in "other 0000 On-The-Job Training 9999"???? Or do I leave this box blank?
 
i thought schooling was required in order to become a certified pharm. tech in california. I was going to start taking pharmacy tech classes at santa ana college concurrently with my prereqs and this is the information the school gave me:

Pharmacy Technician Licensing

maybe im wrong? 😕
 
itsjoe08 said:
i thought schooling was required in order to become a certified pharm. tech in california. I was going to start taking pharmacy tech classes at santa ana college concurrently with my prereqs and this is the information the school gave me:

Pharmacy Technician Licensing

maybe im wrong? 😕

The link says that you have to meet any one of 4 conditions, one of which is passing the PTCB exam. So I think you can just pass the exam rather than take the training courses.
 
SunflowerTea said:
Under "School/Training Program Code [Box 16]"...
Since I didn't attend any school, do I put in "other 0000 On-The-Job Training 9999"???? Or do I leave this box blank?

I also didn't have any retail pharmacy experience or official coursework before I took the PTCB. I'm pretty sure that I put "other 0000" on my application. I just studied out of a couple of books (Delmar's and a couple of other's I can't remember off the top of my head). I thought that the exam was mostly math, so be sure that you know simple conversions, flow rates, etc. I hardly knew any law but still did well - high 800s.

Good luck!