Pharm Tech Certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leah27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is starting to look like I'm not going to get into pharmacy school this year. Since I have a great PCAT score and good GPA and a B.S degree and I really want to go into pharmacy, I'm going to apply again next year. I'm starting to look at pharmacy tech or pharmacy assistant jobs... I'm wondering if people thing it is beneficial to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam even prior to going through a training program through a community college or pharmacy? I bought a review book today and looks like something I could master. Although the grading scheme is wierd. I wonder what the passing rates are?I guess, is it worth telling employers that I'm activly studiyng for it and plan on sitting for the July exam? NYS doesn't require certification, but I assume it would make me a more competitive job canidate. How important is it? Is it worth the study time and 120 bucks? (yeah i know the PCAT was only $69!) any input would be helpful!Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the passing rate is well above 90% and that is considering that the majority of the people I think taking it have only a high school diploma. Well that was what I was told when I was going to take the exam. My boss said forget it, he would just sign for me to work under him that way I can save the time, effort, and money. I know in California, not sure if this is applicable to other states, but if u graduate with a BS degree in a health related science like neurology, biology, chemistry, then all u have to do is fill out the paper work and u are automatically certified as a tech. Well that is what I remembered. However it would still be difficult to get hired since they are looking for experience technicians in some fast pace area.
Second way is for a pharmacist, usually ur boss, to sign for u so that u can work directly under him, bypassing the exam itself. Work enough hours and I think u automatically get certified.

Don't take the community college program. If you study from a study guide, you should do fine. For the drug names, now top 200, there are questions about the classification of drugs, for example what is an example of a diuretic, etc. I'm a pre pharmacy student, and i was already working in a pharmacy when i took it so i was familiar with the drug names, so that part helped.