Pharm Tech certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jammin2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a second year undergrad student, and I was wondering if taking a class to become a certified pharm tech would be worth it? My friend was going to take it, but it seems like a lot of money for something that might not even help me in my future? As far as I know, you don't need to take a class or anything to become a pharm tech, right? ...Then again, with my grades, I'm gonna need all the help I can get trying to get into pharm school...what are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on whether you plan on working as a pharm tech before you apply. If you do than certification is definitely helpful. Otherwise $120 down the drain.

Yea I'm planning on working as a pharm tech...but that's another issue. What if I can't find a job as a pharm tech? Seems like a waste of money to me...also, do you have to get recertified every year? Oh yea, and the price is $679 to take the class (sans books) at a local community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jammin2 said:
Yea I'm planning on working as a pharm tech...but that's another issue. What if I can't find a job as a pharm tech? Seems like a waste of money to me...also, do you have to get recertified every year? Oh yea, and the price is $679 to take the class (sans books) at a local community college.

Take the PTCB exam in March. It's $120 for the exam and you have to re-certify every 2 years. The pharm cert. offered at community colleges work well if you want to work in a clinical environment. You will get lab time and such. Many retail stores look for the PTCB cert. Furthermore, I don't know how much you know about the pharm field so it would make sense that you work or volunteer in the field to get some hands on experience. It can only help you in the long run.

You have to get recertified every 2 years, but if you're enrolled in college or something like that that counts towards your CE requirements.

Don't take a class, just get a job as an rx clerk and learn everything that way. Much better.

hmm...thanks for your replys guys. for the PTCB exam, what do I have to study to be ready for it? I would just get a job as an rx clerk, but I've applied to many different pharmacies around my area (Giant, CVS, Riteaid) and haven't recieved a call back from any of them...I was hoping that being certified might help my chances with landing a job.

If you take the PTCB exam, you can get your license without going to a pharm tech school. The problem is, if you have the license and lack the experience then retail employers won't make you a pharm tech. right away. You'd have to start off as a clerk and work your way up basically. It kinda sucks cuz I worked at Sav-on for a year and due to budget they couldn't promote me. They want alot of clerks and only a couple of techs. cuz it's cheaper that way. Key to the exam: forget the drugs but know ALL of the math (formulas, calculations, and also your sigs!). A really good review book is Certification Review for Pharmacy Technicians by Noah Reifman. I didn't know any of the drugs but still passed cuz I knew the calculations and conversions. Good luck!

Jammin2 said:
hmm...thanks for your replys guys. for the PTCB exam, what do I have to study to be ready for it? I would just get a job as an rx clerk, but I've applied to many different pharmacies around my area (Giant, CVS, Riteaid) and haven't recieved a call back from any of them...I was hoping that being certified might help my chances with landing a job.
The certification definitely will be very helpful in getting that job. And you won't feel rush to get in pharmacy school. You are still in college, so you can self-study for the test (same value as attending accreditted schools). Here is online school- [rxtechschool.com]. You could join in a study group [in yahoo search, type JeanettasPTCBStudyGroup] {I know this site through someone on this SDN forum- sorry I don't remember his/her name to give credit :) } .