Pharm Tech Employers-No Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helppleasepharm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering where a good place is for on-the-job training for pharmacy technicians. I have heard that Walgreens has a good training program...does CVS have a program as well? Also, do any of the department or grocery stores have training programs-Costco, Meijer, Kroger, Walmart, or Target?

Thank you so much for all of your help!
-helppleasepharm

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I would be holding a pharmacy technician-in-training license, as I cannot become fully licensed or take the test until after I graduate high school in June...I realize this is a huge barrier yikes

This will partly depend on your state, since it’s the state Boards of Pharmacy that make the decisions on regulating pharmacy technicians. For example, some states require all techs to be PTCB certified before they can start working, while others have no regulations at all. Are you at least 18? (I ask because you say you’re still in HS.) If not you’re probably going to have zero chance anywhere no matter what. If you’re still a minor, you might consider getting, say, a clerk job at CVS. That way when you are eligible for the pharm tech position they will already know you and be more likely to hire you.

To actually answer your initial question, I had a classmate last year who worked for Walgreens and they trained her and paid her fee to take the PTCE. So it happens, but I wouldn’t rely on it.

This will partly depend on your state, since it’s the state Boards of Pharmacy that make the decisions on regulating pharmacy technicians. For example, some states require all techs to be PTCB certified before they can start working, while others have no regulations at all. Are you at least 18? (I ask because you say you’re still in HS.) If not you’re probably going to have zero chance anywhere no matter what. If you’re still a minor, you might consider getting, say, a clerk job at CVS. That way when you are eligible for the pharm tech position they will already know you and be more likely to hire you.

To actually answer your initial question, I had a classmate last year who worked for Walgreens and they trained her and paid her fee to take the PTCE. So it happens, but I wouldn’t rely on it.

I am 18, and in my state there is a pharmacy technician-in-training license that I am currently in the process of applying for. If I can get that, I can legally work as a technician for 12 months before I need to take the test and become fully certified. The application requires a pharmacy manager to sign off on it though, and I do not have a position... everything else on the application I already sent in and got approved.

There is a program at the Walgreens by my school that allows students to work and train during the school day, but when I emailed them and applied I did not hear anything back. I am wondering if any other chains have a training program as well, which I would apply for as part-time during the evenings