pharm tech in ca

Started by poto
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

poto

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I passed the ptcb and got the license.
However its pain in the butt to find a job.
I studied by myself that I didn't get a chance to be trained.
Do I have to be trained?
Where can I be trained?
Does it cost to be trained? Or do I get paided?
How long os the training process?

Plz help me out
 
Depending on your area, it is hard to get a job unless you know someone. Just keep on applying. Go to each store and ask to speak to a manager. Show them you are an eager and fast learner. I would also suggest trying to volunteer. This is what I did. I volunteered at a county pharmacy for a while and gained some experience there. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
 
I dropped off like 20 resumes until one where I walked in and did interview and was pretty much hired. Then I got 3/4 calls after I started working.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depending on your area, it is hard to get a job unless you know someone. Just keep on applying. Go to each store and ask to speak to a manager. Show them you are an eager and fast learner. I would also suggest trying to volunteer. This is what I did. I volunteered at a county pharmacy for a while and gained some experience there. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Interesting that it is so vastly different out there compared to MN.. here a retail pharmacy basically has to choose from a variety of zombie like applicants to fill their vacant positions. Your options range from brain dead to less brain dead. Occasionally you'll find a rare gem who actually knows what they are doing, and then you find out they are psychotic. Definitely a different hiring environment up here.. hehe
 
Not finding very many part-time opportunities but there seem to be plenty of full-time and on-call.
 
Hospitals are so hard to get into. You usually have to be formally trained and have 6mos.~1 year post graduate experience.

Kaiser permanente has a training program. I'm not sure if its paid but it is definitely free. Keep in mind that this is an outpatient pharmacy training just like working at a CVS/Walgreens.
 
A lot of people get experience at the pharmacy doing "volunteer work" at the one I work at. They usually end up getting hired and/or transferred to a branch if they show "the willingness and desire to learn".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
 
Kaiser permanente has a training program. I'm not sure if its paid but it is definitely free. Keep in mind that this is an outpatient pharmacy training just like working at a CVS/Walgreens.

Had an interview for one of these..it takes about 6 weeks to be trained and training is, of course, only for those that are hired. In most of Southern CA right now, they are on-call positions for up to 20 hrs and you need to have a *completely* open schedule to be considered. Also need to be willing to float between locations...some being quite far..from Corona to Palm Desert in one case. :scared: You can't be in school now or be going to pharm school in Fall 2013 and get hired, but if you're taking a year off it would be worth a shot. Applied with no experience..I think because it is tough to find a person with that schedule that they are being more open to candidates without experience.
 
Had an interview for one of these..it takes about 6 weeks to be trained and training is, of course, only for those that are hired. In most of Southern CA right now, they are on-call positions for up to 20 hrs and you need to have a *completely* open schedule to be considered. Also need to be willing to float between locations...some being quite far..from Corona to Palm Desert in one case. :scared: You can't be in school now or be going to pharm school in Fall 2013 and get hired, but if you're taking a year off it would be worth a shot. Applied with no experience..I think because it is tough to find a person with that schedule that they are being more open to candidates without experience.

Yea. One of my friends are doing it but I don't know the job description. It seems unappealing. I did ROP in high school and got my Pharm tech certificate. Woot! Got a per diem job at the hospital I externed