Pharm Tech job or study for PCATs/School?

Started by kevchen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kevchen

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I just recently got an interview for a pharmacy tech job, but the problem is it is 40 minutes away.. I was planning on taking the PCATs in late September and was going to take 4 classes till December.

The question is: Is it worth it to take the job, or should I just worry about my PCATs and schoolwork for now? My family is not in need of money, just anything that can give me the best chance to get into pharmacy school. My GPA is very low at 3.0

Thanks in advance and for your suggestions!
 
I am in similar situation as you are. I personally chose studying for PCAT....mainly because I feel like boostinh up my PCAT score seems a bit more important than having Pharmacy experience especially because it is getting close to the application deadline.
 
For your application your PCAT score is much more important than your pharmacy experience (especially with a lower than average gpa), however needing money does complicate the situation. If I were in your shoes I would try and find another job closer and spend the saved time on studying for the PCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Involvement in the field is invaluable, but nothing is more important then your school.
 
Thank you for the responses. I prefer to go to a California school too, but if I don't get in... I might as well go out of state. So should I still not take the job? The thing is, I don't know when I'll ever have another chance to get a job till this one came up. What do you guys think?
 
Thank you for the responses. I prefer to go to a California school too, but if I don't get in... I might as well go out of state. So should I still not take the job? The thing is, I don't know when I'll ever have another chance to get a job till this one came up. What do you guys think?

Do you know how much it cost to go to school as an out-of-state resident? It can be up to double then in your state. This does not even include living expenses.
I say take the job, work part-time, and see if you are capable of balancing both school and the job. If you can keep your grades up while still working, then there is your answer.
 
Do you know how much it cost to go to school as an out-of-state resident? It can be up to double then in your state. This does not even include living expenses.
I say take the job, work part-time, and see if you are capable of balancing both school and the job. If you can keep your grades up while still working, then there is your answer.


Good point. But because my GPA is so low, California schools might not want me. So I thought I should apply out of state just in case.. so at least I'll go somewhere right? Thanks for your input.
 
Do you know how much it cost to go to school as an out-of-state resident? It can be up to double then in your state. This does not even include living expenses.
I say take the job, work part-time, and see if you are capable of balancing both school and the job. If you can keep your grades up while still working, then there is your answer.


Good point. But because my GPA is so low, California schools might not want me. So I thought I should apply out of state just in case.. so at least I'll go somewhere right? Thanks for your input.