pharm tech mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frogsforlife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a tech at walgreens. I was mixing an antibiotic and took it out of the box to mix it. I forgot to put it back in the box with the patient label on it that had the name and how to take the medication. I gave out the medication without the box with the label. I tried to call the patient but the phone was disconnected. I told the pharmacist. What happens now?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you gave them an empty box of antibiotic with proper labeling? The current mixed bottle will probably have to be wasted and your pharmacy will likely mix up a new one as it was never technically dispensed to the patient and should be considered a short-fill. They'll realize there isn't medication and likely come back or call. I'd leave a note though so if they come when another pharmacist or yourself is not working that others would be filled in on the situation.

no sorry i should have been more clear. i gave the medication without the box with the label

Members don't see this ad :)
no sorry i should have been more clear. i gave the medication without the box with the label

Oh, that's a bit more troublesome then. Had the pharmacist counselled the patient and told them how to take it? Technically since antibiotics shouldn't be refills they'd have an obligation to counsel them. One would hope without directions that they'll call, but if the number on file is disconnected and you have no way of reaching them there really isn't much that can be done.

If you gave them the paper work(receipt) the sigs are on there. Let the Rph handle it. If sigs are common like 1 tsp bid and This wasn't their first time taking an antibiotic, the customer prolly didn't even care. Unfortunately mistakes happen, learn from it.

Reactions: 1 user
Im a tech at walgreens. I was mixing an antibiotic and took it out of the box to mix it. I forgot to put it back in the box with the patient label on it that had the name and how to take the medication. I gave out the medication without the box with the label. I tried to call the patient but the phone was disconnected. I told the pharmacist. What happens now?

The leaflet has directions on it. Granted, they probably still won't read that and will just do what the doctor said.

As an aside, was this at drive thru? I'm assuming the patient had a different phone number now and if you rang them out in the store it should've given you a mismatched phone number which would've given you a chance to update it. Unless her rewards card was using the old number too which in that case you're SOL!

Just try not to dwell on it for too long. Mistakes happen, live and learn.

At cvs only the pharmacist or intern is allowed to mix antibiotics. Make sure the rph files an incident report.