Pharm Tech Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickandstone

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know a process of becoming a pharm tech in california? is it possible to just study without taking a class and then take the license exam? what book or website would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

stickandstone said:
does anyone know a process of becoming a pharm tech in california? is it possible to just study without taking a class and then take the license exam? what book or website would you recommend?
It is true that you only need to take a test to be a certified pharmacy technician in California. You have to go to the PTCB.org website in order to register for the test. The test cost about $120.00 and I think that they only offer it in LA. I'm taking the test in March and I have never worked in a pharmacy. Most of the information is stuff that I learned in Chemistry and majority of the drugs are drugs that I already knew. I am however unsure if the book that I have been studying with will help in passing due to the fact that I haven't taken the test yet. I do however really enjoy reading the book and it is very user friendly. It is from the PharmacyTrainer website. I believe it is pharmacytrainer.com. I have also been using some pharmacology book that I got at the library. I hope that that information was some help to you.

jemini99 said:
It is true that you only need to take a test to be a certified pharmacy technician in California. You have to go to the PTCB.org website in order to register for the test. The test cost about $120.00 and I think that they only offer it in LA. I'm taking the test in March and I have never worked in a pharmacy. Most of the information is stuff that I learned in Chemistry and majority of the drugs are drugs that I already knew. I am however unsure if the book that I have been studying with will help in passing due to the fact that I haven't taken the test yet. I do however really enjoy reading the book and it is very user friendly. It is from the PharmacyTrainer website. I believe it is pharmacytrainer.com. I have also been using some pharmacology book that I got at the library. I hope that that information was some help to you.

hi, i want to become a pharm tech also, i have 8 months free before entering the pharmacy program. what books did you use to study? and the license exam is in march, is there another date besides that one? thaks

Members don't see this ad :)
I would practice drip rate calculations as well as other pharmaceutical calculations.

stickandstone said:
hi, i want to become a pharm tech also, i have 8 months free before entering the pharmacy program. what books did you use to study? and the license exam is in march, is there another date besides that one? thaks

Know ur major classes of drugs, ie alpha blockers, diabete one and two medications, etc. Know your needles, sterile information, rates, alligation, and a few more topics.

I'm still confused... so in California, is a pharmacy tech class required in order to become a certified pharm tech?? :confused:

MeHungryRx said:
I'm still confused... so in California, is a pharmacy tech class required in order to become a certified pharm tech?? :confused:
No.

Pay $$$, take PTCE (and pass).

Pay $$$, apply for license.

:D