Quantcast

Pharm Tech Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickandstone

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
92
Reaction score
1

Members don't see this ad.
does anyone know a process of becoming a pharm tech in california? is it possible to just study without taking a class and then take the license exam? what book or website would you recommend?
 

jemini99

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2006
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
stickandstone said:
does anyone know a process of becoming a pharm tech in california? is it possible to just study without taking a class and then take the license exam? what book or website would you recommend?
It is true that you only need to take a test to be a certified pharmacy technician in California. You have to go to the PTCB.org website in order to register for the test. The test cost about $120.00 and I think that they only offer it in LA. I'm taking the test in March and I have never worked in a pharmacy. Most of the information is stuff that I learned in Chemistry and majority of the drugs are drugs that I already knew. I am however unsure if the book that I have been studying with will help in passing due to the fact that I haven't taken the test yet. I do however really enjoy reading the book and it is very user friendly. It is from the PharmacyTrainer website. I believe it is pharmacytrainer.com. I have also been using some pharmacology book that I got at the library. I hope that that information was some help to you.
 

stickandstone

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
92
Reaction score
1
jemini99 said:
It is true that you only need to take a test to be a certified pharmacy technician in California. You have to go to the PTCB.org website in order to register for the test. The test cost about $120.00 and I think that they only offer it in LA. I'm taking the test in March and I have never worked in a pharmacy. Most of the information is stuff that I learned in Chemistry and majority of the drugs are drugs that I already knew. I am however unsure if the book that I have been studying with will help in passing due to the fact that I haven't taken the test yet. I do however really enjoy reading the book and it is very user friendly. It is from the PharmacyTrainer website. I believe it is pharmacytrainer.com. I have also been using some pharmacology book that I got at the library. I hope that that information was some help to you.

hi, i want to become a pharm tech also, i have 8 months free before entering the pharmacy program. what books did you use to study? and the license exam is in march, is there another date besides that one? thaks
 

ButlerPharm.D.

Honor Before Glory
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2004
Messages
534
Reaction score
0
I would practice drip rate calculations as well as other pharmaceutical calculations.
 

Aznfarmerboi

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
180
stickandstone said:
hi, i want to become a pharm tech also, i have 8 months free before entering the pharmacy program. what books did you use to study? and the license exam is in march, is there another date besides that one? thaks

Know ur major classes of drugs, ie alpha blockers, diabete one and two medications, etc. Know your needles, sterile information, rates, alligation, and a few more topics.
 

MeHungryRx

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
I'm still confused... so in California, is a pharmacy tech class required in order to become a certified pharm tech?? :confused:
 

ICA

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
MeHungryRx said:
I'm still confused... so in California, is a pharmacy tech class required in order to become a certified pharm tech?? :confused:
No.

Pay $$$, take PTCE (and pass).

Pay $$$, apply for license.

:D
 
Top