Pharm-Tech Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'll be taking the Pharm Tech test next satuday (march 19th) and was wondering what was the best wya to study for this test? I have friends who just studied teh night before and passed and one of my friends was studying on the way to the exam and passed.
No, they're not geniuses or anything so I was wondering, is it really that easy? I was told to just study the hospital laws and know all the drug names (brand and generic) along with just knowing how to do simple math, conversions and such.
Are there any good books that you guys recommend? I've been studying off of Delmar's but man, that thing has so many typos. I don't know if I'm doing it right or wrong. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it's really that easy. I think you're going about this properly. It tests some drug names and interactions, hospital laws, proper storage of some drugs, and LOTS of simple calculations. If you're planning on going to pharmacy school, this test shouldn't be too hard for you to pass.

Who offers the pharm tech exam and how do you sign up for it? just wonderin' since my google search did not yield much info lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmEm said:
Hi everyone,
I'll be taking the Pharm Tech test next satuday (march 19th) and was wondering what was the best wya to study for this test? I have friends who just studied teh night before and passed and one of my friends was studying on the way to the exam and passed.
No, they're not geniuses or anything so I was wondering, is it really that easy? I was told to just study the hospital laws and know all the drug names (brand and generic) along with just knowing how to do simple math, conversions and such.
Are there any good books that you guys recommend? I've been studying off of Delmar's but man, that thing has so many typos. I don't know if I'm doing it right or wrong. Thanks.

I think you are fine... there's a 80% pass rate. When i took it last July, I thought I messed up big time since I didn't know about that much drugs. If you can do the math, you should be fine... good luck!

I'll be taking it this Saturday in San Francisco. Good luck to you all. :)

Yes, its very easy. Though this may be because I worked in a pharmacy for 4 years before taking the test. I didnt study at all.

I just took the practice test on PTCB.org and I got 51/60. Do you guys think this is a good sign that I will pass the actual test. I got all of the calulation questions right. It didn't seem that bed at all based on the practice test.
Thanks guys

don't worry about it. I recently passed the November exam. I think i did MOST of the calculations correct, and i practically just GUESSED on the drug names.

You should do fine.... Good LuCk!

Anyone know of a FREE practice pharm-tech test. I really don't want to pay 29 bucks for one on the ptcb.org Thanks.

I bought a book (RX Success) on Amazon for about $30-40, which included all the drug names and practice tests. No book is going to cover everything (mine didn't have drug storage info for all the drugs) but you're probably not going to have time to memorize everything anyways. I passed with a 91% just from studying the book all summer. Know the calculations, know as many drugs as you can, and you'll do fine! A book that includes a list of drug names (generic, brand) and related info is also useful for studying ahead of time for pharmacy school. =) My friend got saddled with a list of 100+ drugs to memorize before matriculation.

i passed the Tech-Test a week ago..piece of cake! because I hvae experience working at the pharmacy store..so its easy...just get a job at a retail store before u take the test..and Rite Aid OR CVS..two stores offer a training program for FREE if u work there =)..u will get kick out in 9 months if you dont have the tech-liscence =) but it is easy mAN!!! if u go to the training program...they give u a book and it is about 156 pages..=) just read it and understand it..pretty simple..common sense!! u should be fine!!

so get a job!