Pharm. Tech Vs. Pharm.Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mine44u

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am a Pharm Tech, and I am gonna start the PharmD this fall. I need to work while going to school. So I was wondering, should I work as an intern since I am gonna be in Pharmacy School( I wonder if Interns earn more) or should I continue as a tech. Thing is, I need more money than the 11.50/hr that I am making now. Is it possible to work full time while in Pharm, School? Like I said, I need the money, not to talk about the health insurance.​

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I am a Pharm Tech, and I am gonna start the PharmD this fall. I need to work while going to school. So I was wondering, should I work as an intern since I am gonna be in Pharmacy School( I wonder if Interns earn more) or should I continue as a tech. Thing is, I need more money than the 11.50/hr that I am making now. Is it possible to work full time while in Pharm, School? Like I said, I need the money, not to talk about the health insurance.​

I know that many people at Creighton do, and the students at the other schools I have visited so far work in some capacity. After all, many of us are going to accrue thousands of dollars in debt if not more than $100,000. We need to make back the money somehow.

So, working isn't a rare thing. Of course, you just have to remember that school comes first.

I don't know about working as an intern before you start your pharmacy school because every state is different, but I know that you are NOT allowed to work FULL TIME while in pharmacy school. Schools do not allow that (at least the schools I know), even if they did, how would you find the time to study?? I see that you need money, don't we all, but can't you take out financial aid? Are you not eligible for it? Are you an international student?

Members don't see this ad :)
At my work, techs get paid $15 something, senior techs get paid $18 something, and pharmacy interns get paid $19 something.

I don't know about working as an intern before you start your pharmacy school because every state is different, but I know that you are NOT allowed to work full time while in pharmacy school. Schools do not allow that, even if they did, how would you find the time to study?? I see that you need money, don't we all, but can't you take out financial aid? Are you not eligible for it? Are you an international student?

That's a good point that I forgot to mention. 20 hours a week is the most work I've heard from current pharmacy students.

I'm going to work 20hours/wk during school in order to keep my medical benefits. I'm scared about 20 hours. I'd definitely rethink working full time. It won't be of service if you flunk out of school. Your school should offer insurance, and if you need bigger loans to cover expenses, take them. School debt=worthwhile debt.

My school didn't have a limit on how much you work - but, you might miss out on opportunities which will expand your educational experience. After all....as a tech - you're just a tech & not much more.

Have you investigated student sponsored insurance?

Altho the money is a tremendous draw & one which some cannot separate themselves from - try doing some "out of the box type" tech stuff if you have to......One of my husband's classmates was a fireman in a previous life. He could go on shift Fri night about 6PM & work until Sunday at 9PM straight - get enough for benefits. At the time he had 2 kids when he started. When he graduated he had 4 - so there was time for other stuff in addition to dentistry;) He currently is an advisor to a dental software company in addition to being a practicing dentist. Perhaps you can work in a 24 hr store on the overnight shift & get some studying in while you sit & wait for the next Vicodin rx to come in.

So...don't short yourself for a few bucks which can be paid back readily when you graduate.....just my opinion!

yes, I had the same question about differences between pharm tech and intern...If I want to work while in pharmacy school should I finish my pharm tech degree now or I dont need it and can start working as Intern on the first year of pharmacy school????

At my work, techs get paid $15 something, senior techs get paid $18 something, and pharmacy interns get paid $19 something.

Holy freaking crap. I am a tech and I make 7.10 and I just got a raise

I get paid $13 working at Rite aid but there's a lot of craps I have to put up with. As a tech, you are expected to do everything except counseling patients of course. The pharmacists are a**. My pharmacy manager is immature and the pharmacy crew always trash about other employees. It's not a pretty sight to work in. I think there's too much harrassing going on in the store I work in. So look into the company's culture before settling into a tech position. It may as well discourage you to going into pharmacy school because of how horrible some pharmacists represent themselves.

If you're a pharmacy intern and work while in pharmacy school, you will get paid AND you will get hours towards your 2000 or so required hours (states can vary in this amount). At my school, going through pharmacy school gives you a total of 1500, so you are still missing 500 after you graduate that you need to make up. However, students in my class work part time as an intern, so that when they graduate they will have fullfilled most of that remaining 500. Not sure what the setup is like at your school though.

Do you work for Kroger? lol..My friend started out with 6.50

No I work at harps pharmacy. Harps is a chain of corporately owned grocery stores, Located mostly in arkansas in north eastern oklahoma.

No I work at harps pharmacy. Harps is a chain of corporately owned grocery stores, Located mostly in arkansas in north eastern oklahoma.

Are you at a Harps in Oklahoma?

If you work as an intern you might be able to get tuition reimbursement as well. I have a friend that interns at a hospital and gets paid $16 an hour plus $5,000 or so for tuition each year. I'm not sure about insurance, but you can get that through your school.

in north carolina, you are considered an intern as soon as you are accepted to pharmacy school. i've heard interns at cvs start at $13/hr. i was making $11/hr as a certified tech, but a $2 raise is nice.