Pharm: USMLE Roadmap vs. HY Pharm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-Goose-

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions or experience with either of these books? Any other ideas for a condensed, high-yield pharm source?

Members don't see this ad.

I like Road map because it does a good job of explaining and organizing the MOA of various drugs very concisely, which I find helps me organize my thinking and makes learning the drugs easier. It's a fast read, too. It does, not, however, cover every picky detail about specific drugs that the boards seem to want us to know.

You might take a look at Pharm Recall, as well. I've found it very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard good things about HY Pharm.
I have heard good things about Roadmap.

I haven't used either. I'm using FA with a little lippincott's

I've read HY Pharm. I liked it as a quick review, but it's pretty outdated by this point (from 2003). Hopefully they'll come out with a new edition soon. I haven't read the Road Map book, so I can't tell you anything about that.

I really like Roadmap since a lot of the FA information correlates really well. For the most part though I am only using it to clarify topics FA isn't enough for (for me).

FA + some Roadmap is definitely the way to go! In fact, FA takes its pharm from roadmap (it's listed as the source for all the pictures). It's the only book that's worth buying from the Roadmap series IMO.

FA + some Roadmap is definitely the way to go! In fact, FA takes its pharm from roadmap (it's listed as the source for all the pictures). It's the only book that's worth buying from the Roadmap series IMO.

IMHO, Road Map Neuro and Anatomy are also excellent, esp if you are taking COMLEX in addition to USMLE and want a more comprehensive anatomy review than FA offers.