Pharma See-Ya!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see this documentary on CNN the other day about drug companies exporting their Research and Development (R&D) out of the U.S. and primarily into India?

How do you all think this will impact the pharmacuetical world?

How do you all think this will impact the pharmacy profession?

One of the debate is that U.S. now bans the importing of drugs, so how is this different?

Outsourcing, I think, is getting way too out of hand.....

Members don't see this ad.

DrPharm said:
One of the debate is that U.S. now bans the importing of drugs, so how is this different?
The US bans the re-importation of drugs. It doesn't ban drugs that are manufactured in other countries. Many drugs are currently made in Isreal, Ireland, etc.

PharmD Candidate 2008
"PharmD candidate" usually indicates someone who has completed ALL of their professional didactic coursework, and is graduating this year. Candidate: n. A student who has nearly completed the requirements for a degree. You would generally be considered a pharmacy "student"

I dont think it has any impact at all. Just like JD said... American companies sell their drugs to other countries (i.e. Canada) and then the Canadians are reselling them to Americans.

Canada has a weird socialized thing going and their Gov't negotiates for lower prices on drugs. The way drug companies are "getting back" at those damn canadians (had to say it once) is they are selling a limited supply so they only have enough to sell to their people and not enough to send over here where we take the brunt of the cost for the research.

The only thing about factories overseas (you didn't mention factories just R&D) is that they are not as strict as our health requirements here. This is happening a lot in the food industry (make sure you get your meat that is made in the usa). Most companies hire people to make sure they meet health standards and are cleaner than other places.

I personally don't work in a factory nor do i plan to so this will have absolutely no effect on me. No one else in my class plans to work on the lines either...

One thing i have read recently on pharmacyonesource is that there is actually a major problem with drug shortages.
This overseas companies (while i don't like or agree with it) offer more drugs for the patients where there is currently a shortage.

jdpharmd? said:
"PharmD candidate" usually indicates someone who has completed ALL of their professional didactic coursework, and is graduating this year. Candidate: n. A student who has nearly completed the requirements for a degree. You would generally be considered a pharmacy "student"
Didn't we agree to disagree on this point a long time ago?