jblil

7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2010
East Coast
I am currently in PT school, but have dozens of cousins who are pharmacists so I am interested in the field. I saw the post below today from a pharmacist, on another forum. After reading the thread, I have 2 questions:
1) Is it as bad as he makes it sound?
2) Does the poor guy have any chance? He's about to be let go because of low productivity.

"I'm a pharmacist reviewing orders for nursing homes. I need to review certain # of orders per hour. Some orders are problematic and require clarification from doctors or nurses. Some like pain meds are time consuming because they are critical and you don't want to overdose.

The younger pharmacists have no qualms skipping these kinds of orders. It's cherry picking and I say cheating because they are avoiding these orders to get their numbers high sacrificing patient care.. they are waiting around to pounce on big admissions (new patients coming into facilities with 15+ meds) that they can breeze through.. and even then not calling on clarification if needed..leave it for the next person to deal with angry nurses
."

The thread starts here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/2224543-might-fired-soon-please-help.html

May 30, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
is the market as bad? just falsify a resume of a pharmacist with a few years of experience, then blast it on the internet and apply it everywhere you see a posting...in any area you want to live. see if you get any interest from employer. then you will see exactly how bad the market is. truth is, the market is worse than people make it to be on SDN.

May 30, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
and yes, people get let go because of poor productivity, its not just pharmacists verifying for nursing homes, its pharmacists working for retail, mail order, hospital, etc. you think retail pharmacists has time to call MDs to clarify doses when you only have one tech helping you and 3 patients waiting,, 2 cars in drive-through, and 2 patients waiting to speak to you, oh yeah, and also the phone, never forget about the phone. yes, you have to sacrifice patient care, or else your ass won't be employed much longer. its possible to provide great patient care in a lot of setting, in my opinion. afterall, your employers dont care about their patients. only profits.

Reactions: Dalteparin

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
truth is, the market is worse than people make it to be on SDN.
This is true. The regulars on this forum graduated during the "boom" years and are still doing well. The new grads and older pharmacists are having a much harder time.

It also depends on your location. It is not as competitive if you work in some rural part of the country for obvious reason.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
This is true. The regulars on this forum graduated during the "boom" years and are still doing well. The new grads and older pharmacists are having a much harder time.

It also depends on your location. It is not as competitive if you work in some rural part of the country for obvious reason.
It's not THAT bad.

I live in NYC, graduated from a new school 2 years ago, no residency, extremely low GPA. I currently work at an independent pharmacy as a supervising pharmacist and am per diem at a hospital in the Bronx. Not the flashiest job in the world, but they pay nice and leave me alone to do what I want during downtime as long as I get the work done on time, which I do.

I just got an unofficial offer from a hospital in NYC pending budget approval, and I just interviewed for a position today at a private practice office where I'd be mixing chemo for patients who will receive their chemo there on site.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a stop-gap job while you're looking for your dream job.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
^ good thing you are an exceptional new grad

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
^ you are not as fortunate. How's CVS treating you?

Feb 1, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
and yes, people get let go because of poor productivity
I wished this was true in my district, alas not the case. Had 1 floater leave my store in a utter mess. I told my DM about it...and DM made an excuse it was because he did 9 days straight pffffftttt!

Momus

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
I wished this was true in my district, alas not the case. Had 1 floater leave my store in a utter mess. I told my DM about it...and DM made an excuse it was because he did 9 days straight pffffftttt!
I did 23 days straight once and never leave a mess, DM had to stop me and gave me a forced day off or I'd have a 30 days streak. She said "Tomorrow, you are off no matter what, you can't work that many days in a row, I will find someone to cover for you".