Pharmacist at Student Health Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curtislemansky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some info about this setting. A university in a neighboring state is looking to replace a retiring pharmacist at their student health clinic. Anyone have any insight into the differences between this and a retail setting? Pay difference? Additional responsibilities past the filling of prescriptions (like working with a wellness center if there is one)?

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that the hours would be pretty good, although the pay might well be a little lower but the convenience factor would have to be taken into account. I don't know how they would handle insurance; my one encounter with a student health clinic pharmacy was in the early 1980s, and this was automatically added onto my tuition bill. Things would almost certainly be different now, I'm quite aware of that. If you have a lot of students with families, you would be dealing with a lot of Medicaid, that I do know.

Most of the things you would deal with would be the health issues of mostly healthy young adults: antibiotics and birth control, birth control, and more birth control. :laugh:

Last edited:
We have a small retail pharmacy in the pharmacy building which is right next to the student health center. They are open 8:30-5:00 Mon-Fri with modified hours during breaks and in the summer. As far as insurance it's mostly grad student insurance, some faculty, and a few randoms. And it really is just birth control, birth control, and more birth control. I don't know about where you would be, but there are also always students working in there too.