Pharmacist counselling is free..

Started by ineeddrug
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ineeddrug

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn’t really think about this so far.
Why is pharmacists’ counselling free?
Doctors, Lawyers, NP, PA do get paid for any kind of service, right? But why not pharmacists?

Don’t get me wrong. I love to counsel for my patients.
But random people from other pharmacy just come by and ask tons of questions about their meds, their symptoms, and some random questions that go on and on and on..
Or some people wants counsel on the phone and ask literally million questions for 10 min..

I have tons of rx to qa, need to make dr’s call for ddi, calls from other pharmacy for transfer.. and endless lines of in and out window..

Why do people think that our clinical service should be free? (And their questions go on and on cuz they dont have to pay?)

Just venting out..
 
Because pharmacists are stupid. I think it you look at the history, it started as a value-added service, eventually it became mandatory (for prescriptions.) There is no logical reason why pharmacists should give their counseling away for free, it should be included in the cost of the prescription, and everyone else should be charged. But realistically, because it has been given away for free, that is never going to change. Insurers aren't going to reimburse for it, and the public isn't going to start paying for something that they have previously refused for free.
 
I feel your frustration. You are responsible for an impossible amount of workload and you are expected to provide free drug information to people who never intend to do business with your pharmacy. I have had this happen all the time. People would even call with complaints against other chains. This will never change so I would recommend accepting it and answering their questions as best as possible.

I have used attorneys who volunteer their time. They give very generic advice and usually are multitasking i.e. opening their mail, etc. Good PR, maybe a way to build business and maybe something to write off as a business expense.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well to fill a script you make money on both your margin and your dispensing fee. I presume counseling would be covered by your dispensing fee, however what is the average dispensing fee right now? I'm pretty sure that it is pathetically low
 
You also get all kind of questions that doesn't result in OTC purchase nor related to filling their prescription at your pharmacy.

Adding Psychiatrist to the list. I get people calling to tell you about their problems due to that they are bored, can't sleep, or have no one else to talk to.

HAHA this has never happened to me yet (in terms of patients calling me to talk about random non-med stuff), but something tells me I'll remember my first 'session'.
 
One time I was calling around to different law offices trying to get a 30 second "Should I bring this to you, a professional" opinion, and everyone wanted to schedule a 1hr consultation. I was frustrated b/c this is was some simple matter about rent (it was a long time ago) and when finally I got a hold of an actual lawyer he said something like, "Do you give just out advice in your line of work without charging?"

"Hell yeah buddy, that's all I do!"
 
If you have not established a patient-provider relationship with the customer, then you are not obligated to answer any questions they may have. Ie; if they dont fill prescriptions at your pharmacy- you can refuse to help them on the phone regarding their medications.
 
And just think you can get sued for that "free" advice. I can't tell you how many calls I get that start off with my other pharmacy is closed...can I take x with y.
 
Can you believe there was a time in the history of APhA that they advocated that the pharmacist shouldn’t talk about the medications to the patient?

What happens is we get ambitious groups that want to advocate for a new role for the pharmacist and they push and push and make it required for all with no method of reimbursement
 
If you have not established a patient-provider relationship with the customer, then you are not obligated to answer any questions they may have. Ie; if they dont fill prescriptions at your pharmacy- you can refuse to help them on the phone regarding their medications.

Maybe from a legal standpoint op may not be obligated, but I am sure their employer requires it. Had a non-customer complain when I referred them to their pharmacy. Store manager told me I had to answer the questions. When I asked why, he simply said because you are a pharmacist.
 
Maybe from a legal standpoint op may not be obligated, but I am sure their employer requires it. Had a non-customer complain when I referred them to their pharmacy. Store manager told me I had to answer the questions. When I asked why, he simply said because you are a pharmacist.
I would answer back, I do not feel safe answering questions without a complete medication record + allergies. It is your license, not theirs. If it is a medication-related question, there is no reason why they call you instead of their own pharmacy and you are not required to answer their questions because you have not established care with them. Bring it up with your district manager.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have not established a patient-provider relationship with the customer, then you are not obligated to answer any questions they may have. Ie; if they dont fill prescriptions at your pharmacy- you can refuse to help them on the phone regarding their medications.

That's a separate issue entirely. I was simply thinking about my normal counselling for dispensed prescriptions, but you're right, I often do give advice, albeit with the disclosure that without a complete knowledge of their medical history they should weigh my suggestion against other sources as well as discuss the issue with their PCP.

What I've never done is have someone ask me if a certain scenario (ala "drugs just got stolen should I call the police?") and required an appointment/consultation fee before I considered answering.
 
I would answer back, I do not feel safe answering questions without a complete medication record + allergies. It is your license, not theirs. If it is a medication-related question, there is no reason why they call you instead of their own pharmacy and you are not required to answer their questions because you have not established care with them. Bring it up with your district manager.

I agree with your opinion, but our employers don't care about our licenses. District managers only care about their own bonuses.
 
This is my take:

Anytime you combine retail industry with something else, it all kind become part of service industry. You have to provide "customer service", value, loss leader to attract business.

My own experience years ago: I was opening the store at Target, got a call for questions. I attempted to open up the patient profile and that is when he told me he does not come to Target. Worse, he told me he always go to Walgreens down the street, but they are too busy to answer his concerns.

I was told to provide my service regardless of where he goes to pick up his prescriptions, and regardless that I have no patient profiles. "He is a POTENTIAL CUSTOMER", and "we need to do anything to please him and hoping to have his prescriptions transferred one day".

This is not my patient, and I have no medical records or prescriptions record, can you see physicians entice patients with free advices without any records?

I am totally for counseling if he or she is a patient of yours, dispensing fee should cover this particular action(service). However, we should draw a line at "FREE" advice for safety, liabilities and "PROFESSIONAL DIGNITY"
 
You also get all kind of questions that doesn't result in OTC purchase nor related to filling their prescription at your pharmacy.

Adding Psychiatrist to the list. I get people calling to tell you about their problems due to that they are bored, can't sleep, or have no one else to talk to.

You are also an insurance representative. Just today I had to call some insurance company because a guy's coverage was never activated. I told him to call his insurance and they literally told him that the pharmacy must call. I still have no clue why I was required to call them, they didn't need an rx number to activate his coverage in their computer.
 
When I provide counseling for OTCs or phone consultations, I try to keep it short and sweet. If they ramble on, I politely tell them I have to go.
 
HAHA this has never happened to me yet (in terms of patients calling me to talk about random non-med stuff), but something tells me I'll remember my first 'session'.

You must have never worked retail. This normally happens everyday in working retail. Actually, it can even happen in hospital---I have literally had in-patients call me in the pharmacy, either because they are bored, or because of some nonsense like they think their nurse is trying to kill them or something.

I was told to provide my service regardless of where he goes to pick up his prescriptions, and regardless that I have no patient profiles. "He is a POTENTIAL CUSTOMER", and "we need to do anything to please him and hoping to have his prescriptions transferred one day".

Even your manager must realize their are limitations to that. You could pick up potential customers by telling them you can sell the morphine without an RX, I'm pretty sure your manager wouldn't approve of that (or if s/he was a non-pharmacist manager, they surely would once the understood the ramifications of that proposal....ie the whole pharmacy could lose their DEA license.)

Don't tell the person you won't answer their question because they are a customer, tell them you don't know the answer to their question (true, you don't, without their pharmacy/medical records), and that they should call their doctor. It's no different than someone (true story) showing up telling me they had just cut their finger off in a home improvement project and wanting to know the best glue to put it back on. I'm like, "wow, sorry to hear that happened to you. But I have no idea what glue should be used in this situation, I strongly urge you go to the emergency room, or at least call your doctor." See, customer service just means that you have to phrase your denial in an appropriate fashion (I didn't say what I was actually thinking....)
 
You also get all kind of questions that doesn't result in OTC purchase nor related to filling their prescription at your pharmacy.

Adding Psychiatrist to the list. I get people calling to tell you about their problems due to that they are bored, can't sleep, or have no one else to talk to.

= dementia, insomniac, & psych crowds

Most time consuming include the crowd with numerous problems/daytime customer service complaints; they often call me @ odd hours because this place is a "zoo" during business hours & he/she wants better attention/feels unnoticed or ignored when they request stuff during business hours (had one mother on the phone eat up 1/2 hour with numerous demands for herself and husband & children...painstaking & lots of apologizing, listening, & empathizing). Not that there is a problem with this but, it didn't help that most of her problems were from OTC items her MD called in as scripts & weren't even covered by insurance
 
You must have never worked retail. This normally happens everyday in working retail. Actually, it can even happen in hospital---I have literally had in-patients call me in the pharmacy, either because they are bored, or because of some nonsense like they think their nurse is trying to kill them or something.

Actually, I do work in retail, a certain 3-letter chain. I've gotten plenty of calls that go off into non-medication tangents, but it almost always starts off concerning a medication question.
 
Solution to our problem: Consultation (Parking) Meter

Think about it... now back to reality (sigh): "No ma'am... Even though your doctor gave you the prescription I can't just make your insurance cover your emergency supply of medication... I'm sure it is an important term paper but your Adderall is just too soon."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
Actually, I do work in retail, a certain 3-letter chain. I've gotten plenty of calls that go off into non-medication tangents, but it almost always starts off concerning a medication question.

Oh yeah, that is how it always is with mine as well. I guess I took the OP to mean that also. Usually the question is something they already know the answer to, or something really easy, it's just a way for them to get the tech to put the pharmacist on the line, so they can then go on and on and on about their non-pharmacy related issues.
 
One time I was calling around to different law offices trying to get a 30 second "Should I bring this to you, a professional" opinion, and everyone wanted to schedule a 1hr consultation. I was frustrated b/c this is was some simple matter about rent (it was a long time ago) and when finally I got a hold of an actual lawyer he said something like, "Do you give just out advice in your line of work without charging?"

"Hell yeah buddy, that's all I do!"

I've heard stories of lawyers charging by the minute for reading and responding to emails!
 
I didn’t really think about this so far.
Why is pharmacists’ counselling free?
Doctors, Lawyers, NP, PA do get paid for any kind of service, right? But why not pharmacists?

Don’t get me wrong. I love to counsel for my patients.
But random people from other pharmacy just come by and ask tons of questions about their meds, their symptoms, and some random questions that go on and on and on..
Or some people wants counsel on the phone and ask literally million questions for 10 min..

I have tons of rx to qa, need to make dr’s call for ddi, calls from other pharmacy for transfer.. and endless lines of in and out window..

Why do people think that our clinical service should be free? (And their questions go on and on cuz they dont have to pay?)

Just venting out..
Because pharmacist cannot control access. If you want to speak to a doctor, you have to make a appt. But any bum can walk into a CVS and talk the ear off of a pharmacy for 30 minutes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is a pharmacy in the DFW area that charges for counseling on vitamin regimens. It's a niche that won't make you rich but builds customer loyalty.
 
I guess my pharmacists were fortunate to have me take the bullet and answer all questions as an intern for the past 4 years, lol. I tried my best to make it short and sweet. They'd appreciate it, but it's really difficult at a higher volume store. If they had further questions I would literally tell them, hey I'm actually really busy but come back another time like on the weekend and I'd love to talk to you more, etc. That usually does the trick... Most of the time.
 
Actually, I do work in retail, a certain 3-letter chain. I've gotten plenty of calls that go off into non-medication tangents, but it almost always starts off concerning a medication question.

God damn I hate these...guy calls up at like 4am with a simple atorvastatin question next thing you know he wants a second opinion on his god damn "once every so often" foamy urine (...><...). Sorry bro, not the time or place to play what if ("time vampire")

I would seriously rather help out anonymous 80+yoF who has not had a BM in 3+ days
 
Last edited:
Most attorneys I know bill every 6 minutes and break the hour into 10 segments.