Pharmacist Diet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing what every druggists diet is like & what strategies are implemented to balance work setting environments. Or even before & after dietary changes from being a broke pharmacy to a heavily indebted pharmacist.

Community setting wise, my diet consists of sugar free caffeine sources, gum, & mints; I prefer not eating while working due to sedation, lethargy, hypotension, & mindset (I simply don't associate rest with work). Overall my diet is considered ketogenic but could fit in to being a high fat Mediterranean diet.

Stats: 160-165lbs, 6'0", BF < 10%, aerobic exercise 30-60min/day QD, anaerobic exercise 45-60min/day averaging QOD

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in knowing what every druggists diet is like & what strategies are implemented to balance work setting environments. Or even before & after dietary changes from being a broke pharmacy to a heavily indebted pharmacist.

Community setting wise, my diet consists of sugar free caffeine sources, gum, & mints; I prefer not eating while working due to sedation, lethargy, hypotension, & mindset (I simply don't associate rest with work). Overall my diet is considered ketogenic but could fit in to being a high fat Mediterranean diet.

Stats: 160-165lbs, 6'0", BF < 10%, aerobic exercise 30-60min/day QD, anaerobic exercise 45-60min/day averaging QOD

As a parent of a Registered Dietitian I can tell you your diet sucks. You need to eat sever meals a day. Also, diet soda is probably the worst thing you can drink. Skipping meals leads to hypoglycemia and it's associated decrease in mental function.

Reactions: 2 users
You seem to make a lot of assumptions; blood glucose stays fairly constant fasted around 80mg/dL. No lab values are out of range from blood work. But yes, I'll agree fasting & ketosis is not for everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to make a lot of assumptions; blood glucose stays fairly constant fasted around 80mg/dL. No lab values are out of range from blood work. But yes, I'll agree fasting & ketosis is not for everyone

You test it all day long? Did you ever study nutrition in school. You do realize your GB level fluctuates depending on the time of day. You think your BG is 80 1 hour after a meal? Your body has been designed to eat multiple times per day. If you don't, you are not operating your body they way it was designed. It won't last as long as it could if you don't treat it correctly.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this a joke thread? Why would everyone else's diet be interesting?

To answer I eat three meals a day just like any other person. I know amazing.

i can tell you i spend WAY too much on eating out. Besides that i eat normally and when i can at work.

my new job i start in two weeks has a lunch break so i am beyond excited for that

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone here a fitness enthusiast ? I am one and pursue bodybuilding just for fun and my diet is quite strict with meticulous macros calculation. I have 3main meals and 3 snacks each day. I find it helpful because patients (and even MDs) listen to me more when I educate them on diets and exercise; I also get lots of question on diet drugs and food-drug interaction, and OMG supplements and herbals (literally I have to explain how whey protein differs from casein protein QD!!) etc. LOL

You test it all day long? Did you ever study nutrition in school. You do realize your GB level fluctuates depending on the time of day. You think your BG is 80 1 hour after a meal? Your body has been designed to eat multiple times per day. If you don't, you are not operating your body they way it was designed. It won't last as long as it could if you don't treat it correctly.

Yes, BG remains around 80mg/dL even without eating for 20 hours. I don't think your modern cave person gave a damn about eating an arbitrary number of times each day (3) & I think you are generalizing things to the needs of a diabetic. Go read a book on fasting & or Ramadan to clear up any misconceptions

Yes, this is a joke somewhat (boredom inspired)...I was hoping someone would say he/she infuses him/herself with IV fluids

I try to eat high protein meals/snacks throughout the day and limit myself to 1 cup of coffee/day. On days where I have to be at both of my jobs and don't have time to sit down and eat a proper meal, I pretty much live off of quest bars and a sugar free redbull lol

Yes, BG remains around 80mg/dL even without eating for 20 hours. I don't think your modern cave person gave a damn about eating an arbitrary number of times each day (3) & I think you are generalizing things to the needs of a diabetic. Go read a book on fasting & or Ramadan to clear up any misconceptions

Yes, this is a joke somewhat (boredom inspired)...I was hoping someone would say he/she infuses him/herself with IV fluids

Go read anything on nutrition. Ramadan is a 30 day period once per year. It's done for spiritual reasons. That does not make it ideal for a human being. Human beings were meant to eat multiple times per day. And, nobody on this planet has a constant blood sugar of any number. You may be 80 after a 12 hour fast, most people do. That's why it's checks in the morning after fasting and is called a fasting blood sugar. Food is fuel and your brain needs fuel to function and depriving your body of fuel is well, just plain foolish.

My diet will probably horrify everyone so I'll share it for shock value.

I'm 5'6" 127lbs and I strictly eat 1200 cal or less a day (reducing body fat). Pharmacy school stress eating resulted in gaining 40 pounds that I've lost and now I'm losing the last bit. I walk/jog for 45 minutes every evening and do some strength training exercises every other day to ease into building muscle. Once I'm done dieting I'm going to focus more on building muscle (not trying to be bulky, just fit).

I use coffee as an appetite suppressant and to supplement my low levels of sleep. I drink about 7 cups of sugar free coffee a day with artificial sweeteners in it and sleep on average 4-6 hours a night. My main meals consist of eggs, oatmeal, fruit/vegetables, lean meats, and small portions of whatever there is to eat. I take a multivitamin to supplement my calorie intake. I log everything I eat religiously into a calorie counter and most of the time over-estimate portion sizes to prevent myself from cheating in any way. I'm not a routine smoker at all, but I keep an emergency stash of cigarettes and a cheap vape at home to smoke in the event that I'm doubling over with hunger to use to help prevent me from eating. I know my current diet is probably bad for me, but it's working as far as weight loss goes and that's my goal. I hate calorie restriction and dieting, I never plan on letting myself get fat again but I'm adamant about losing it ASAP so I can resume a decent human lifestyle :D

Last edited:
Same here being overweight previously before college around 200lbs, then went to an unhealthy 150lbs (6'0") numerically being borderline anorexic. Made weight lifting routine to stay at a consistent 170-175lbs and have been slowly losing by making small dietary & exercise changes. I too prefer a fit not over muscular physique...just personal preference & less maintenance

I'm 5'6" 127lbs and I strictly eat 1200 cal or less a day (reducing body fat). Pharmacy school stress eating resulted in gaining 40 pounds that I've lost and now I'm losing the last bit. I walk/jog for 45 minutes every evening and do some strength training exercises every other day to ease into building muscle. Once I'm done dieting I'm going to focus more on building muscle (not trying to be bulky, just fit).

I use coffee as an appetite suppressant and to supplement my low levels of sleep. I drink about 7 cups of sugar free coffee a day with artificial sweeteners in it and sleep on average 4-6 hours a night. My main meals consist of eggs, oatmeal, fruit/vegetables, lean meats, and small portions of whatever there is to eat. I take a multivitamin to supplement my calorie intake. I log everything I eat religiously into a calorie counter and most of the time over-estimate portion sizes to prevent myself from cheating in any way. I'm not a routine smoker at all, but I keep an emergency stash of cigarettes and a cheap vape at home to smoke in the event that I'm doubling over with hunger to use to help prevent me from eating. I know my current diet is probably bad for me, but it's working as far as weight loss goes and that's my goal. I hate calorie restriction and dieting, I never plan on letting myself get fat again but I'm adamant about losing it ASAP so I can resume a decent human lifestyle :D
5'6" and 127 pounds is normal, 20.5 BMI. Why are you putting yourself on such a strict diet to lose more weight?

Members don't see this ad :)
I aim for a macronutrient split of about 40/40/20 (protein/fat/carbohydrate). Lift for ~90min @ 4am each morning, cardio for about 20minutes. (50 min cardio total/day including walking my dogs)

Last edited:
I like beer.

Tend to have a vegetarian lunch (a habit I acquired from my first girlfriend who was a pescatarian) and lean meat with brown rice at dinner. Breakfast is my sin where I'll do the buttered poached eggs, black and white pudding, chorizo, prosciutto, frybread, **** on a shingle, hash, and other really terrible caloric foods due to my childhood out West. I'm not a particularly imaginative cook, but I don't eat out as I'm generally convinced that most restaurants do not serve "real" food (in the sense of do you really want to eat a preservative/salt/sugar/butter mess). Since the collapse of Le Cordon Bleu in my city, finding personal chefs to come to your home to cook once a week is quite affordable on our incomes (and we can learn how to cook different dishes to break up the ingredient monotony).

I don't drink, so that prevents factoring in other calories.

On a separate note, did anyone else keep track about the pharmacy school weight gain? I feel similar to digsbe that I gained four sizes (and lost three) in pharmacy school and after. I suppose that was avoidable, but I worked all the time in those days.

Last edited:

You need to get yourself to a dietician. Like, yesterday. 1200 calories per day is so bad for you. This is not a sustainable plan. You need to learn to eat they way God or Nature intended you to eat. And skip the diet soda. About the most unhealthful thing you can consume. The wait did not come on overnight and the healthy way will make it come off slow. Once you learn to eat like a human it's much easier to control your weight.

I'm 5'6" 127lbs and I strictly eat 1200 cal or less a day
I hate calorie restriction and dieting, I never plan on letting myself get fat again but I'm adamant about losing it ASAP so I can resume a decent human lifestyle :D
Problem is, that's not really how it works. Rather than thinking of temporary things just to hit a certain number on the scale, get in a routine of eating a certain way and maintain that. That's the definition of "diet." Once you hit your goal weight, you just keep the same healthy habits and don't have to worry about the details as much. Your TDEE is around 1850 kcal, so 1350/day is roughly a 1 lb/week loss. You don't even need to go that low and lose it that fast. 1600 kcal/day is still 1/2 lb per week, which is great. You're more likely to keep it off if it's a slow gradual loss anyway.

Besides that, you need to increase your sleep so your body can actually recover. Between that, the caffeine, and the smoking, your cortisol is probably through the roof which is going to negatively affect just about everything in your body. Eat more green veggies too. A whole head of lettuce is under 100 calories, and you can't tell me that wouldn't be filling to try and eat the whole thing. If you're getting hunger pangs you can snack on that rather than smoke.

You need to get yourself to a dietician. Like, yesterday. 1200 calories per day is so bad for you. This is not a sustainable plan. You need to learn to eat they way God or Nature intended you to eat. And skip the diet soda. About the most unhealthful thing you can consume. The wait did not come on overnight and the healthy way will make it come off slow. Once you learn to eat like a human it's much easier to control your weight.
I think that 1200 cal/day is reasonable given the specifics. Type in 5'6" 127lb into a BMR calculator. Depending on age, gender, and activity level, his/her body may only be burning 1500 cals/day. Eating 1200 cal/day yields a net loss of 300 cal/day-->2100 cal/week. 3500 calories=1 lb, so the poster may be losing less than 1 lb per week, which is a healthy amount. Generally 1-2 pounds (3500-7000 calories) per week is considered a healthy and manageable pace.

What's wrong with diet soda from an evidence based position?

What about the CVS90X Workout? Run between "One Pharmacy Call!" and "Lane One!" for 14 hours straight. Don't worry about counting calories because there's no time to eat anyway.

Reactions: 7 users
What's wrong with diet soda from an evidence based position?

It's really pretty simple. Diet soda leads to hypoglycemia and thereby increases hunger, calorie consumption and weight gain. There is not a single RD that recommends diet soda. I don't have the data but I'm sure my daughter could look it up for me. It's just not a great idea. I expect people believe me when it come to drugs and I believe what the RD's tell me about food.

Anyone on a 1,200 calorie a day diet just needs to add pistachios. It's literally impossible to not binge eat those and there's an extra 800 calories easy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's really pretty simple. Diet soda leads to hypoglycemia and thereby increases hunger, calorie consumption and weight gain. There is not a single RD that recommends diet soda. I don't have the data but I'm sure my daughter could look it up for me. It's just not a great idea. I expect people believe me when it come to drugs and I believe what the RD's tell me about food.

has that been proven true? I was under the impression it was not.

I'm 5'11'' 140-150 pounds. I never eat breakfast and skip lunch half the time. My diet is nothing interesting and probably low in calories. The last 3-4 weeks I've been drinking 1200 calories a day in protein/carb shake to bulk up a bit because I'm skinny. No idea if I've gained any weight because I don't have a scale at school.

I also drink about a gallon of iced tea a day which is probably going to give me diabetes, yellow teeth, and kidney stones.

I'd like to see the data.

Isn't Dietitian (spelled with a T) the preferred method?

I'd like to see the data.

Isn't Dietitian (spelled with a T) the preferred method?

I spell it wrong all the time.... much to my daughter's chagrin. She just moved so I'll ask for it. I have no timetable. But I can tell you 99.999% of all dietitians feel this way.....

I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to nutrition data simply because of the difficulty of doing trials randomized & controlled. Patient population & associations further muddy the water as far as cause & effect...especially other items in one's diet. Would also be interested in the proposed MOA of hypoglycemia from diet (sugar-free) soda...confounded with caffeine content of course

I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to nutrition data simply because of the difficulty of doing trials randomized & controlled. Patient population & associations further muddy the water as far as cause & effect...especially other items in one's diet. Would also be interested in the proposed MOA of hypoglycemia from diet (sugar-free) soda...confounded with caffeine content of course

Caffeine content in soda is rather negligible. A 12oz. diet coke has 46mg caffeine, that is laughable. If anything wouldn't it do the opposite? (Induce lipolysis and raise blood glucose [in theory]).

Your standard cup of coffee can have anywhere from 80-160mg, and Starbucks typically has 200-400+ mg caffeine in it. Soda is a joke.

It's really simple. Keep putting sweet substances in your mouth and your body expects sugar to follow. You don't really think it all starts with glucose absorption?

It's really simple. Keep putting sweet substances in your mouth and your body expects sugar to follow. You don't really think it all starts with glucose absorption?

So, my diabetics patients who have seen significant improvement in blood sugar control from switching from regular soda or juice to diet soda or crystal light, should all go back to the former?

That is great advice. Can recommend water and exercise all day long but switching to diet soda is actually something my pts are agreeable to at times. I will take the evidenced based risk reduction of lower A1c and weight loss over your RD claims without high quality data to support them...

And the "worst thing you can do to your body" line is a joke right? Laughable

Caffeine content in soda is rather negligible. A 12oz. diet coke has 46mg caffeine, that is laughable. If anything wouldn't it do the opposite? (Induce lipolysis and raise blood glucose [in theory]).

Your standard cup of coffee can have anywhere from 80-160mg, and Starbucks typically has 200-400+ mg caffeine in it. Soda is a joke.
Clarification: I was thinking from a really weak diuretic, volume depletion point of view as a means of raising BG. Yes the opposite, which is why I am skeptical of sugar free soda to cause hypoglycemia

So, my diabetics patients who have seen significant improvement in blood sugar control from switching from regular soda or juice to diet soda or crystal light, should all go back to the former?

That is great advice. Can recommend water and exercise all day long but switching to diet soda is actually something my pts are agreeable to at times. I will take the evidenced based risk reduction of lower A1c and weight loss over your RD claims without high quality data to support them...

And the "worst thing you can do to your body" line is a joke right? Laughable

Really we are not speaking about diabetics here. But any RD will tell you not to drink any soda, diet or otherwise. They hate all soda, they just hate diet more.....

You have data to back up weight loss with diet soda in diabetics? Sponsored by the beverage industry no doubt. Any RD has forgotten more about food and nutrition than you will ever know. Just like you know drugs, they know food.

Most research in nutrition is not powered or has bogus setups in the first place. Most of the key points on how we know anything about nutrition come from studies that would never be approved through an IRB today as they involve actual harm to research subjects if you really want to find out (Ancel Keys in particular).

My take: Eat anything and everything in moderation, match eating to activity (obviously if you are bodybuilding, you ought to consider both calorie and nutrient), water is your friend, and probably more greens if possible is probably the way to go, but most of us can't follow that "simple" advice with regular exercise. Deprivation is the pathway of failure which is why I don't drink diet soda myself.

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/abstract

And RD's have been very, very erratic with their professional advice for years regarding diet even in diabetics. Have you seen the diabetic diets of the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s being extremely different? Diabetics now are counseled to eat a varied diet or a low carb diet and even that has gone in cycles.

And RD's have been very, very erratic with their professional advice for years regarding diet even in diabetics. Have you seen the diabetic diets of the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s being extremely different? Diabetics now are counseled to eat a varied diet or a low carb diet and even that has gone in cycles.

So have pharmacists...... Information goes in cycles in all professions based on the best evidence we have. DBI bad.... Now Metformin good. Thiazides AOK number 1 therapy in HTM, not so much. Digoxin #1 for CHF now last resort......

Thank god I hate carbonated drinks. Don't have to worry about all this soda BS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This thread is gold. Having experienced the CVS90X Workout myself, I can say the calorie burn is real.

Not being able to control my diet/physique was one of the main reasons I made the switch to health system pharmacy. I would argue that unless you're an absolute genetic freak, it's impossible to add substantial muscle (or wt at all for that matter) while running circles at CVS. In those days, my diet was primarily cliff bars and redbull. I tried everything imaginable to continue a 40/40/20 type weightlifting macro split that I had been doing in pharmacy school but it was impossible. I simply couldn't get enough calories to gain muscle. Now, I meal-prep, meticulously control my macros and never miss a meal, because hospital pharmacy is the ****.

BTW, any of you other meticulous eaters get "health-shamed" all the time? The second I nuke my salmon, fat people come out of the woodwork trying to feed me cake and **** to try and ruin diet. It's 100% malicious, they're haters. How many times a week can you bring cake to work? Eventually I'm just like, "Sure, even though I just consumed a 650+ calorie, well balanced meal, I've got room for a sugar bomb on top." /end rant.

BTW, any of you other meticulous eaters get "health-shamed" all the time? The second I nuke my salmon, fat people come out of the woodwork trying to feed me cake and **** to try and ruin diet. It's 100% malicious, they're haters. How many times a week can you bring cake to work? Eventually I'm just like, "Sure, even though I just consumed a 650+ calorie, well balanced meal, I've got room for a sugar bomb on top." /end rant.

Hah, I get this at work a lot. People complain that they can smell fish. I'm really sorry that I have exposed you to a smell, should I just be eating mac and cheese every day until I contribute to the statistics of the stroke belt?

Nutrient drinks NOT found in the store (so buy walmart equate ones if you work Walg) so you don't have to do the lame sticker thing so you don't get accused of theft. I do the 350 calorie ones so I can down 2 for lunch in literally 30 seconds. A bit oily but has all the 30 or whatever nutrient FDA says that exist.

Seriously people, 127 lbs at 5'6" and 150lbs at 6'0" is perfectly healthy, doubly so when compared to the average American. Where did you guys get the idea that those wt's aren't healthy? Stay away from whatever people are trying to make you feel fat when you are normal weight.

I drink about 7 cups of sugar free coffee a day with artificial sweeteners in it and sleep on average 4-6 hours a night. I hate calorie restriction and dieting, I never plan on letting myself get fat again but I'm adamant about losing it ASAP so I can resume a decent human lifestyle :D

As mentioned, lack of sleep will lead to weight gain or make it harder for you to lose weight. Crash diets will screw up your metabolism and make it much more likely that you gain weight. This article on the Biggest Losers explains how they *permanently* slowed down their metabolisms by their rapid weight loss.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...ines-why-contestants-gain-back-weight-w204789
Follow Lord99's advice....everything in moderation (even regular or diet soda if that is what you want!) Find a diet plan that *you* can live with for the rest of your life, and follow that...your weight will come off slower, but more healthily, plus you are set to keep it off, because you are already eating that way. You have to find a diet (and exercise plan) that works for you and which is reasonable enough that you can really do it--forcing yourself in to a plan you hate will cause failure.

Caffeine content in soda is rather negligible. A 12oz. diet coke has 46mg caffeine, that is laughable. If anything wouldn't it do the opposite? (Induce lipolysis and raise blood glucose [in theory]). Your standard cup of coffee can have anywhere from 80-160mg, and Starbucks typically has 200-400+ mg caffeine in it. Soda is a joke.

It depends. Some people are very sensitive to caffeine. And obviously there is dose tolerance that must be considered in any study.