Pharmacist > Doctors > Dentists ......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yawj797

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, at least according to CNNMoney and Salary.com
Heres the link for your enjoyment, i thought it was pretty interesting.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/top50/index.html

Whether or not you believe this is your own judgment...but as a PharmD student, it looks plenty good to me.:D :D :D

I actually find it interesting that of the TOP 20 Jobs...Pharmacy is the 3rd highest paying job in America only after Financial advisor and Advertising manager.
Of course this list wasn't solely based on Income, but many other factors as well. Yet, it's an ego thing....I'm tired of the pre-dent and pre-med student's bull.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually find it interesting that of the TOP 20 Jobs...Pharmacy is the 3rd highest paying job in America only after Financial advisor and Advertising manager.

how did you come up with 3rd?

according to that website, I came up with 9th:

1. Physician/Surgeon $247,536
2. Lawyer $153,923
3. Sales manager $135,903
4. Dentist $122,883
5. Financial advisor $122,462
6. Advertising manager $107,049
7. Optometrist $93,670
8. Health services manager $92,211
9. Pharmacist $91,998

and how credible are these results, and what are they based on?

edit: oh...you said (and even emphasized) out of the top 20, pharmacist is 3rd...

Hah, I always laugh at these sorts of articles and statistical sets. I don't honestly believe when I come out of school that I will yield less than 100K/yr as a community pharmacist. Clearly, most lawyers do NOT make that 150K/yr mark at any regular interval in their career. So am I really supposed to believe this? I don't think so.

People seem to forget the cost of living disparities throughout the United States. $100,000/year will barely allow you to buy a home, 2 cars, and support a nuclear family in the San Francisco area. In rural Indiana, however, you would earn the title of "baller."

The federal minimum wage may be $5.15/hour, but NO ONE AT ALL earns anywhere close to that in Phoenix, AZ, LA, California, etc. because no one will work for that low of a wage. Here in DFW where I grew up, 6/hour is pretty much the going rate since the COL is so much lower, though. Basically, these articles never seem to reflect COL and geographical considerations.

Members don't see this ad :)
the avg salary in Socal right now (for retail) is around 110-115k. if you work OT, u can easily make 125-130k. so yea it depends on where you live

I saw this article some time ago. Although it is an ego boast, it seems very opinion based. For example, college professor stress level B. Plesase!....college professors have to work their *** off to reach tenure. They are under constant pressure to publish. After one reaches tenure the stress is easy. However, if you do not publish enough you get fired. It is publish or perish

Speaking of salaries, does anyone think that the field may be in a sort of salary bubble, with the increase in demand for pharmacists due to the increasing number of retiring baby boomers?

Psssh....91k. They're using stats from 2002 again....

Is a 10-20k dollar increase in average salary over five years a good sign? Whos to say that in five more years, salaries won't fall back down to 2002 levels as the number of new pharmacy graduates steadily increases. There seem to be a lot of new schools opening across the country actually. Illinois, for example, is opening two new state schools within a decade. (SIUE and Chicago State) Will the demand for new pharmacists keep pace with the increased supply?

i think you answered your own question.

According to CNN Money, this is how they get their list. "Using Salary.com compensation data, we eliminated jobs with average pay below $50,000; total employment of less than 15,000; dangerous work environments; or fewer than 800 annual job openings, including both new and replacement positions."

This means there might be better jobs out there ie actuary and investment bankers who get paid more but was not listed.

Speaking of salaries, does anyone think that the field may be in a sort of salary bubble, with the increase in demand for pharmacists due to the increasing number of retiring baby boomers?
Actually the baby boomers are just now getting to the age where their demand for medical care is increasing. Add to that the fact the the majority of current practicing pharmacists are baby boomers fast heading toward retirement, and my thought is that you can shelf your concern.

Is a 10-20k dollar increase in average salary over five years a good sign? Whos to say that in five more years, salaries won't fall back down to 2002 levels as the number of new pharmacy graduates steadily increases. There seem to be a lot of new schools opening across the country actually. Illinois, for example, is opening two new state schools within a decade. (SIUE and Chicago State) Will the demand for new pharmacists keep pace with the increased supply?

I don't know about you, but I see a whole lot more pharmacies popping up on every corner than I see pharmacy programs. Yes the pharmacist supply is increasing, but studies show that the demand will continue to increase for close to 20 years.