Pharmacist Fired For Comedy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think, companies should be able to show that an employee's outside endeavors is hurting the business or reputation. I think this is more easily done with a KKK member, than with a comedian.

If anything, why wasn't the comedian given a final written warning and told to stop his comedy? Then he could decide from there what he wanted to do. Especially since, according to him, other DM's were quite aware and approving of it?

I like to think there is more to the story that isn't being told, but honestly, he does sound like an employee who went above and beyond.
I think there is more to this story also.
He did not improve his chances on getting another position by posting this video either.

Members don't see this ad.

I think, companies should be able to show that an employee's outside endeavors is hurting the business or reputation. I think this is more easily done with a KKK member, than with a comedian.

If anything, why wasn't the comedian given a final written warning and told to stop his comedy? Then he could decide from there what he wanted to do. Especially since, according to him, other DM's were quite aware and approving of it?

I like to think there is more to the story that isn't being told, but honestly, he does sound like an employee who went above and beyond.
But is his comedy really hurting their bottom line?? No it isn’t. Okay, instead of KKK, I join a Mosque and am part of MSA. The DM happens to know and labels me a terrorist because of my faith and I get fired because I made religious choice that he or she did not agree with. Me being a Muslim hurts their reputation. Yet, I am an efficient pharmacist and keep people safe. That’s why corporations need to be put in check. Their laws should not apply outside of their atmosphere.

But is his comedy really hurting their bottom line?? No it isn’t. Okay, instead of KKK, I join a Mosque and am part of MSA. The DM happens to know and labels me a terrorist because of my faith and I get fired because I made religious choice that he or she did not agree with. Me being a Muslim hurts their reputation. Yet, I am an efficient pharmacist and keep people safe. That’s why corporations need to be put in check. Their laws should not apply outside of their atmosphere.
That’s already illegal. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s already illegal. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
KKK can be classified as a religious group. An extremist religious group, but a religious group. So KKK can technically fall under that law. It would be the same if I joined the Muslim Brotherhood, that is still a religious group.

I think the issue with the comedy has to do with the new DM because the previous DMs had no problem with his jokes. I am sure this pharmacist made tons of jokes about Walgreens before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is more to this story also.
He did not improve his chances on getting another position by posting this video either.
He has a huge network thanks to his community outreach projects and his stand up comedy. He’ll get a pharmacist job, probably in the hospital.

You can tell from his story and demeanor that there was nothing else to it. Unless this guy was stealing controls or sequestering sexual favors from his techs, this was an intentional and gross termination of an excellent employee. He can use this termination to bolster his comedy and bring it to full fruition. If anything, this is a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: 3 users
KKK can be classified as a religious group. An extremist religious group, but a religious group. So KKK can technically fall under that law. It would be the same if I joined the Muslim Brotherhood, that is still a religious group.

I think the issue with the comedy has to do with the new DM because the previous DMs had no problem with his jokes. I am sure this pharmacist made tons of jokes about Walgreens before.
No. The Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist organization. Neither it, nor the KKK are a “religion” as protected by the civil rights act.

Reactions: 1 user
The KKK and Muslim Brotherhood are religious organizations according to its followers. So basically the law only protects peaceful religions and not extreme denominations of religions. So the law is not inclusive of all religions.
The designation of groups as "terrorists" is an arbitrary one. For example, the Taliban was once considered an essential ally for the US when they were employed in the fight against Soviet Russia. Then a few decades later they became a "terrorist" organization when 9/11 occurred. Now due to the rise and fall of ISIS, they are once again considered allies in the region.

The designation of groups as "terrorists" is an arbitrary one. For example, the Taliban was once considered an essential ally for the US when they were employed in the fight against Soviet Russia. Then a few decades later they became a "terrorist" organization when 9/11 occurred. Now due to the rise and fall of ISIS, they are once again considered allies in the region.
A terrorist,at least to me, means targeting civilians to obtain political or military ends.When the Taliban or US military
attacks a school that is a terrorist act.When they attack a military base that is a legitimate act of war.

A terrorist,at least to me, means targeting civilians to obtain political or military ends.When the Taliban or US military
attacks a school that is a terrorist act.When they attack a military base that is a legitimate act of war.
I can't recall any war in which civilians were not targeted as part of the military strategy :unsure:

I can't recall any war in which civilians were not targeted as part of the military strategy :unsure:
True.The distinction between military and civilian in so called rules of war has all but faded away.

He could have rubbed someone in management the wrong way. That's all it takes to get a target on your back these days. You could be the best worker in the company and it doesn't matter.

Reactions: 4 users
  • Wow