Pharmacist, how did you...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForumHangout

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...pass your biology capstone research class? I am assuming you all majored in and completed a biology degree before you applied to Pharmacy schools and get to where you are now.

Thx for telling me your story. Im dying to know.

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in anything. I "majored" in chemistry, but got in as soon as they would let me...which was before I got an undergraduate degree.

No prior degree here, either. I went to a six year all-in-one program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dual degreed in molecular bio and Chem. Undergrad biology and reseach was way too easy. The only science class in undergrad that wasn't an easy A by just attending classes and do the assignments was quantum mechanics.

Dual degreed in molecular bio and Chem. Undergrad biology and reseach was way too easy. The only science class in undergrad that wasn't an easy A by just attending classes and do the assignments was quantum mechanics.

There are plenty of attend-and-do-assignment classes that are not easy I think. What did you research about for your biology capstone research class, do you mind elaborating? was it bat sonar? snail eggs?

There are plenty of attend-and-do-assignment classes that are not easy I think. What did you research about for your biology capstone research class, do you mind elaborating? was it bat sonar? snail eggs?

Molecular bio. So I sequenced a section of the drosophila genome using PCR.

Molecular bio. So I sequenced a section of the drosophila genome using PCR.

They didn't make you write a mock grant proposal and do peer review with your classmate did you? as well as using a minimal 15 primary sources when in reality you could end up reading 30? you know... like a mocked thesis paper.

What the hell is a biology capstone research class? Am I missing something?

It's a research class that you take in your 3rd or 4th year. It is a requirement that you pass this course if you want to graduate with an undergraduate biology degree, and then go to Pharmacy school.

You apparently pick something that you're "interested" in and then you do research on it by reading primary sources, using at least 15 to generate data to write your thesis, and doing peer review. They're basically training you for grad research field. In my position IDK what the hell I want to pick or research about. Am I suppose to do research on snail's egg? bat? sea otters? lol... I mean in Organic Chemistry class you just learn ****, go to a fking test, fill out the bubbles, but just what the hell is this?

I'm so freaking confused that you guys didn't do this. I thought getting ur Biology undergrad degree then use it to get into pharm school was normal omg. I thought someone might have done this and I just wanted to see ur angle and see how u got through it so I can use the tip to get through myself and get on with life.

They didn't make you write a mock grant proposal and do peer review with your classmate did you? as well as using a minimal 15 primary sources when in reality you could end up reading 30? you know... like a mocked thesis paper.

No, just a short written proposal between me and the prof. Of course you had to look up primary sources to justify buts that's what pubmed and Medline is for.

And yours is different from my school. We had to complete a semester long research class. That's what I was talking about. First 2 weeks researching literature, when ok'd we did the actual bench research, and wrote a final paper on the findings. My actual restricting the genome section, gel electrophoresis, pcr, sequencing, interpreting and verifying results took over a month.

Last edited:
No, just a short written proposal between me and the prof. Of course you had to look up primary sources to justify buts that's what pubmed and Medline is for.

And yours is different from my school. We had to complete a semester long research class. That's what I was talking about. First 2 weeks researching literature, when ok'd we did the actual bench research, and wrote a final paper on the findings. My actual restricting the genome section, gel electrophoresis, pcr, sequencing, interpreting and verifying results took over a month.

Did you choose your topic or was it given to you?

I mean in Organic Chemistry class you just learn ****, go to a fking test, fill out the bubbles, but just what the hell is this?

Then you took a weak as O-chem class.

My class's tests were like...here's benzene...using any inorganic molecules and ethanol, make this other molecule. And show all of your work. It was ALL handwritten synthesis.

Bubbles? Academia has gotten soft...and lazy.

Actually, I never even saw the bubbles outside of high school until I got to pharmacy school. Those rural community college teachers with 8 person classes in their physics/calculus/chemistry classes are ruthless...I guess having less tests to grade does that to you...

Last edited:
Then you took a weak as O-chem class.

My class's tests were like...here's benzene...using any inorganic molecules and ethanol, make this other molecule. And show all of your work. It was ALL handwritten synthesis.

Bubbles? Academia has gotten soft...and lazy.

Actually, I never even saw the bubbles outside of high school until I got to pharmacy school. Those rural community college teachers with 8 person classes in their physics/calculus/chemistry classes are ruthless...I guess having less tests to grade does that to you...

You have to do all of that on a scrap sheet before you fill in the RIGHT bubble. But that's still hella a lot easy then finding something to research about to pass a course and fill out the requirement to graduate.

WTF do you do? research about Bats? this is extremely more complicated then how to synthesize Benzene, jesus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you choose your topic or was it given to you?

You choose your own, but were also shown what past classes did, so you have an idea and prof wont let you do something over your head. I just picked another section of the genome and went from there.

You have to do all of that on a scrap sheet before you fill in the RIGHT bubble. But that's still hella a lot easy then finding something to research about to pass a course and fill out the requirement to graduate.

WTF do you do? research about Bats? this is extremely more complicated then how to synthesize Benzene, jesus.

I'd rather do a stupid term paper than take that damn O Chem class ever again.

If you can't handle this, lord help you when you are asked to do a research paper in pharmacy school. Just find something you are remotely interested in and go with it. Its an undergraduate biology degree. They can't possibly expect that much of you.

Isn't the OP the guy who threw a major tantrum when everyone told him a 2.5 wouldn't get him into pharmacy school? I vaguely remember a trainwreck of a thread with him involved.

so glad I went to an all-in-1 school. This is the first I've ever heard of a "biology capstone research class"....sounds like it might be a way for Ph.D. candidates to pass off some of their work to undergraduates.

so glad I went to an all-in-1 school. This is the first I've ever heard of a "biology capstone research class"....sounds like it might be a way for Ph.D. candidates to pass off some of their work to undergraduates.

The capstone thing might be new, but a basic research course for natural sciences degrees is pretty common I think.

What is it with you and bats, bro?

If you can't handle this, lord help you when you are asked to do a research paper in pharmacy school. Just find something you are remotely interested in and go with it. Its an undergraduate biology degree. They can't possibly expect that much of you.

I don't recall any research papers in classes. Just a few little write ups on rotations.

I was super-excited when I realized I'd be doing 99% scantron based work as of P1 year.

Excuse me, pause, can we go back to this part? can some one or you clarify that they WON'T or WILL ask me to do research papers in pharmacy school?

Thx.

Isn't the OP the guy who threw a major tantrum when everyone told him a 2.5 wouldn't get him into pharmacy school? I vaguely remember a trainwreck of a thread with him involved.

Proof or you're making things up or you remembered someone else.

But even so, how is that relevant? you're not writing to me about your experience with your biology capstone research class. I'm trying to get some inspiration and see how some Pharmacist in here or pharmacy students got through their biology capstone research class, get their biology undergrad degree, before they used their biology degree to make it to pharmacy school. That post was totally irrelevant and off topic unless you have a clear point that you're trying to deliver with that post, but you didn't really articulate it.

Last edited:
Proof or you're making things up or you remembered someone else.

But even so, how is that relevant? you're not writing to me about your experience with your biology capstone research class. I'm trying to get some inspiration and see how some Pharmacist in here or pharmacy students got through their biology capstone research class, get their biology undergrad degree, before they used their biology degree to make it to pharmacy school. That post was totally irrelevant and off topic unless you have a clear point that you're trying to deliver with that post, but you didn't really articulate it.

Man, I think it's bull**** how you have a 2.96 something GPA, close to 3.0, after taking some science prereq course that you screw up in and getting a 2.43 GPA for PharmCAS.

...then the one University I applied to immediately disqualify your canditacy. I felt confident with a 2.96 science GPA... on my transcript.

I thought 2.96 transcript GPA ish was acceptable in applying to get int othe 2nd year.

I applied to only 1 school. If it disqualified me for 2.43 then I'm going to safely assume all other school do the same thing... and it was best to not waste so much money.

The point is that you've had troll like behavior in the past and weren't receptive to advice/criticism. It was meant to serve as a reminder to other as to how this thread might end up.

It's a research class that you take in your 3rd or 4th year. It is a requirement that you pass this course if you want to graduate with an undergraduate biology degree, and then go to Pharmacy school.

You apparently pick something that you're "interested" in and then you do research on it by reading primary sources, using at least 15 to generate data to write your thesis, and doing peer review. They're basically training you for grad research field. In my position IDK what the hell I want to pick or research about. Am I suppose to do research on snail's egg? bat? sea otters? lol... I mean in Organic Chemistry class you just learn ****, go to a fking test, fill out the bubbles, but just what the hell is this?

I'm so freaking confused that you guys didn't do this. I thought getting ur Biology undergrad degree then use it to get into pharm school was normal omg. I thought someone might have done this and I just wanted to see ur angle and see how u got through it so I can use the tip to get through myself and get on with life.

maybe you should talk to the professor/ta/supervisor instead of random pharmacists...

many of us dont have undergrad degrees. An undergrad degree is not a requirement for a US pharmacy school, at least it wasnt when I applied several years ago.

many of us dont have undergrad degrees. An undergrad degree is not a requirement for a US pharmacy school, at least it wasnt when I applied several years ago.

No undergrad degree here either.

The point is that you've had troll like behavior in the past and weren't receptive to advice/criticism. It was meant to serve as a reminder to other as to how this thread might end up.

I'm just trying to get some Pharmacists who did finish their undergraduate biology degree and made it pass their biology capstone research class to tell me about their experience so I can get some inspiration and make it too, but instead of that, I got you to accuse me of being a troll, which helps no one. Thanks. No one need a forum whiteknight. Let the mod do their jobs.

No I'm with you...I have no idea wtf that is. I mean, I did independent research....but I went to a gigantic land grant public university, no way in hell they'd make undergrad research a requirement to graduate....