Pharmacist job in the USA

Started by Hasdrubal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hasdrubal

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am from Europe, I graduated in Pharmacy and I am now working on my Ph D in Toxicology. I have been considering the option of moving to the USA, as there are companies who hire pharmacists overseas due to the lack of these professionals in America. I have been 5 times to the USA, and I am visiting my brother, who studies in Miami, in 3 weeks. I think I am pretty fluent in English, Spanish is my mother language and I am also fluent in French and Italian, so I think the Miami area would fit my interests. Do Pharmacists get well paid in the US? Is it a well-regarded job?

thanks.
 
Hasdrubal, the brother of Hannibal.. Where are you from?
 
yes, pharmacists get paid well in the US...........most pharmacists get paid above 100k.....

But, be careful.........to work in the US as a pharmacist, you need a Pharm D.........a bachelor of pharmacy or something like that will not work for you....if u don't have a pharm d (doctor of pharmacy) degree, then you won't find a job as a pharmacist in the USA
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yes, pharmacists get paid well in the US...........most pharmacists get paid above 100k.....

But, be careful.........to work in the US as a pharmacist, you need a Pharm D.........a bachelor of pharmacy or something like that will not work for you....if u don't have a pharm d (doctor of pharmacy) degree, then you won't find a job as a pharmacist in the USA

Um... No. There are still lots and lots of BSPharms practicing in the US. You do have to be a RPh though. (Which requires passing the NAPLEX). I'm unsure about how a foreign pharmacist would go about getting licensed - how could the licensing boards be sure of the hours of pharmacy experience?
 
For foreign grads, the requirement if they graduated before 2003 is just a bachelors degree. If they graduated after January 2003, a 5 year degree is the requirement.
 
Do pharmacists get paid well in your country? (Yea for here, but not that well). And is it a well-respected occupation there ? (not really here). I'm just curious.
 
Do pharmacists get paid well in your country? (Yea for here, but not that well). And is it a well-respected occupation there ? (not really here). I'm just curious.

well, not that much. Pharmacies here are not like those in the USA. only a Pharmacist can have one, and only one. there cannot be chain stores, and permits to open are given by the Government depending on the population to people who apply for them, There can only be a certain pharmacy/inhabitants ratio, about 1 per 5,000. they can be sold to other pharmacists, and they reach very high prices. it's more like a family business

also, there are lots of graduates in Pharmacy, because it's cheap to study (about $5,000 for all the Uni years).
 
well, not that much. Pharmacies here are not like those in the USA. only a Pharmacist can have one, and only one. there cannot be chain stores, and permits to open are given by the Government depending on the population to people who apply for them, There can only be a certain pharmacy/inhabitants ratio, about 1 per 5,000. they can be sold to other pharmacists, and they reach very high prices. it's more like a family business

also, there are lots of graduates in Pharmacy, because it's cheap to study (about $5,000 for all the Uni years).

I have some friends who are foreign grads. If i remember from talking to them, You need to evaluate your transcript, take TOEFL, then apply for Foreign equivalency exam. After which you can take Naplex and State law exam. While doing all these you are required to have some hours of experience about 1500 or thereabout.
 
well, not that much. Pharmacies here are not like those in the USA. only a Pharmacist can have one, and only one. there cannot be chain stores, and permits to open are given by the Government depending on the population to people who apply for them, There can only be a certain pharmacy/inhabitants ratio, about 1 per 5,000. they can be sold to other pharmacists, and they reach very high prices. it's more like a family business

also, there are lots of graduates in Pharmacy, because it's cheap to study (about $5,000 for all the Uni years).
Wow. That is very interesting! My knowledge of pharmacies outside the US is virtually none so that was a nice fast read 🙂