Pharmacist Lifestyle question 2015

Started by pharmatme
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmatme

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The following post/questions was from 2007. Was wondering what people could say about the pharmacy profession in 2015

I was wondering how a pharmacist lives on a day-to-day basis, im currently doing some research on some medical jobs and i think i seem to fit the most to the pharmaist career field

Ok to list my questions:
1. How much hours are you required to work? (hours/week)
2. Day of work (shifts)
3. Time with family/self?
4. Quality of life?

That's all.. im currently serving the armed forces and considering on either separating and study pharmacy or stay and cross-train to pharmacy get experience then retire at the age of 38 and work outside i know it's a long-term goal but whatever

I'll appreciate anyone's help tnx
 
1. How much hours are you required to work? (hours/week)
-I work 40 hours a week at a chain. Overtime is a big no-no for them, so at least I never have to work over 40 hours.

2. Day of work (shifts)
-Being a new grad, I end up with a lot of closing and weekend shifts. I was told I'd get every other weekend off, or at least consecutive days off, but my schedule is constantly changing last minute. It is very hard to make plans or take weekend trips with a random schedule. Even if I have consecutive days off, it is challenging to find a group of friends or meet people to do stuff with when your weekend is Tues/Wed.

3. Time with family/self?
-See above.

4. Quality of life?
-Some days I feel good about the work I do and really think I'm helping someone... But then you get people yelling and threatening to sue you and you have no idea why.
I like that I only have to work 40 hours a week at a job that's fairly easy, so at least I'm not exhausted when I come home from work. I would actually enjoy retail a lot if there weren't so many metrics and corporate stuff involved. I get interrupted at work like every 5 minutes from a customer or tech/clerk so I get paranoid that I'm going to make a mistake...hopefully I don't develop anxiety issues lol. Work gets very repetitive and I don't feel like a "clinician" that pharmacy schools tell you you'll be. I've been a retail pharmacist for about 7 months now, and I'm seriously looking around for other opportunities outside of retail because I cannot do retail for the rest of my life.
 
1. 45.5 and 38.5, rxm. So average is around 40 since I take off early on my day shifts.

2. Half mornings, half nights, every, other weekend.

3. We eat dinner together/ attend events/typical family time all but 4 days every two weeks (my nights)

4. We live in the higher salary communities in a decent sized city. There is never a moment where I worry about money/supporting my families lifestyle. Life is pretty great.

Side note, I've been working longer then most here. The sob stories will come from new grads.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Work gets very repetitive and I don't feel like a "clinician" that pharmacy schools tell you you'll be.

That's true even in "clinical" pharmacy. I have to give the same pep talk every year to our new pharmacists. They come out of residency thinking they are going to be some big shot, then have a very difficult time adjusting to the realities of being a pharmacist. I always tell them that the job they think they want doesn't actually exist, and that they need to find fulfillment with what their scope of practice actually allows them to do.


edit: formatting was weird posting from my phone
 
Last edited:
1. How much hours are you required to work? (hours/week)
-I work 40 hours a week at a chain. Overtime is a big no-no for them, so at least I never have to work over 40 hours.

2. Day of work (shifts)
-Being a new grad, I end up with a lot of closing and weekend shifts. I was told I'd get every other weekend off, or at least consecutive days off, but my schedule is constantly changing last minute. It is very hard to make plans or take weekend trips with a random schedule. Even if I have consecutive days off, it is challenging to find a group of friends or meet people to do stuff with when your weekend is Tues/Wed.

3. Time with family/self?
-See above.

4. Quality of life?
-Some days I feel good about the work I do and really think I'm helping someone... But then you get people yelling and threatening to sue you and you have no idea why.
I like that I only have to work 40 hours a week at a job that's fairly easy, so at least I'm not exhausted when I come home from work. I would actually enjoy retail a lot if there weren't so many metrics and corporate stuff involved. I get interrupted at work like every 5 minutes from a customer or tech/clerk so I get paranoid that I'm going to make a mistake...hopefully I don't develop anxiety issues lol. Work gets very repetitive and I don't feel like a "clinician" that pharmacy schools tell you you'll be. I've been a retail pharmacist for about 7 months now, and I'm seriously looking around for other opportunities outside of retail because I cannot do retail for the rest of my life.

Do you mind if I ask you why you can't do retail for the rest of your life? Is it because of the stress from patients yelling at you and giving you a hard time along with the corporate metrics, or is it just too repetitive and monotonous to you? Thanks...
 
Do you mind if I ask you why you can't do retail for the rest of your life? Is it because of the stress from patients yelling at you and giving you a hard time along with the corporate metrics, or is it just too repetitive and monotonous to you? Thanks...


Some people just can't handle it. While Walgreens still has all its metrics, currently all it cares about is fe sales, script count, and survey numbers. I haven't heard a word about the other metrics since the new fiscal year started.
 
Do you mind if I ask you why you can't do retail for the rest of your life? Is it because of the stress from patients yelling at you and giving you a hard time along with the corporate metrics, or is it just too repetitive and monotonous to you? Thanks...
Too repetitive and monotonous for me.
 
1. 40 a week - barely a minute more
2. rotating first and second, every 5th weekend
3. My wifes job limits that honestly more than mine (she works bankers hours but probably stays late more than me)
4. Pretty dang good - not a 1%er, but definitely top 5-10%
 
Do you mind if I ask you why you can't do retail for the rest of your life? Is it because of the stress from patients yelling at you and giving you a hard time along with the corporate metrics, or is it just too repetitive and monotonous to you? Thanks...

You need to get some real pharmacy experience. If you can't, then go to a CVS during peak hours and just sit there and observe.

Shadowing is not enough. That is not real. Don't make the same mistake people make by going into this profession without knowing what it is like. You will regret it.
 
For those who work at 8-10 stores (well at least for walgreens)

How do your off weekends end up working? Now I'm at a 9-9 store so I work some 12s to get every other fri,sat, sun off. I really like those 3 day weekends but I'm probably going to transfer districts within next couple months and I'm afraid I won't have that luxury at an 8-10 store. I know some have a floater for a shift in Friday to allow three day weekends for other staff Rph but idk how common that is.


Just curious
 
For those who work at 8-10 stores (well at least for walgreens)

How do your off weekends end up working? Now I'm at a 9-9 store so I work some 12s to get every other fri,sat, sun off. I really like those 3 day weekends but I'm probably going to transfer districts within next couple months and I'm afraid I won't have that luxury at an 8-10 store. I know some have a floater for a shift in Friday to allow three day weekends for other staff Rph but idk how common that is.


Just curious

Typically you have a set day off each week.
 
1. How many hours are you required to work? (hours/week) - 32 hrs/week.
2. Day of work (shifts) - every other weekend, mostly closing (2-10pm). It works for me because I am not a morning person at all.
3. Time with family/self?-I find a nice balance. Sometimes the last minute shifts could be problematic and I wish I worked normal hours like my friends but I don't think I am missing out on self/family/friend time.
4. Quality of life?-Happy with it. I live comfortable, I am definitely not in top salary but I manage to pay my bills and have extra for entertainment and things I want. Nothing too fancy but allows me to enjoy my life. 🙂
 
You need to get some real pharmacy experience. If you can't, then go to a CVS during peak hours and just sit there and observe.

Shadowing is not enough. That is not real. Don't make the same mistake people make by going into this profession without knowing what it is like. You will regret it.

Are all retail chains as bad to work for as CVS? Do you think there's a chance than in 3-4 years, CVS will be the only chain with openings? The thing is, I live in a city in the southeast that is consistently ranked as one of the least desirable places to live in the US, and it seems like there are almost always numerous pharmacist job openings posted by the various chains that have locations here. For example, as of right now, there are job openings posted online for pharmacists to work in my city at CVS, Publix, Winn-Dixie, Kroger, Wal-Mart, and two hospitals. Until a few days ago, there was an opening posted for a pharmacist to work at Sam's Club as well. Would you say that Publix and Kroger, for example, are as miserable to work for as CVS? (I'm not challenging/arguing with you here -- I'm genuinely interested in your input/opinion)...
 
Are all retail chains as bad to work for as CVS? Do you think there's a chance than in 3-4 years, CVS will be the only chain with openings? The thing is, I live in a city in the southeast that is consistently ranked as one of the least desirable places to live in the US, and it seems like there are almost always numerous pharmacist job openings posted by the various chains that have locations here. For example, as of right now, there are job openings posted online for pharmacists to work in my city at CVS, Publix, Winn-Dixie, Kroger, Wal-Mart, and two hospitals. Until a few days ago, there was an opening posted for a pharmacist to work at Sam's Club as well. Would you say that Publix and Kroger, for example, are as miserable to work for as CVS? (I'm not challenging/arguing with you here -- I'm genuinely interested in your input/opinion)...

Other retails are probably better than CVS but CVS is the leader right now. Other retailers will follow what CVS does.

The chance of you working for CVS is pretty good. I know one girl who doesn't mind working in retail as long as she works for Target after graduation. Guess what? CVS just purchased Target.
 
Some people just can't handle it. While Walgreens still has all its metrics, currently all it cares about is fe sales, script count, and survey numbers. I haven't heard a word about the other metrics since the new fiscal year started.

If CVS just has those metrics, very little would complain lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Other retails are probably better than CVS but CVS is the leader right now. Other retailers will follow what CVS does.

The chance of you working for CVS is pretty good. I know one girl who doesn't mind working in retail as long as she works for Target after graduation. Guess what? CVS just purchased Target.

I understand that many new grads have no choice but to work for CVS for their first job after graduation, but what about all the other retail chains I mentioned in my previous post that currently have openings in my city? Is it really that likely that in 4 years, none of them except for CVS will have openings? Like I mentioned in my previous post, every retail/grocery chain has at least one opening right now (although I realize this could change over the next few years). In fact, Publix has two FT positions open and one PT position open; I mentioned Publix because they seem to maintain a reputation as being one of the most desirable grocery chains to work for.

Do you think I could increase my chances of working for a "good" chain like Publix if I get a job working at least 1 day per week as a student intern at a Publix pharmacy?
 
I understand that many new grads have no choice but to work for CVS for their first job after graduation, but what about all the other retail chains I mentioned in my previous post that currently have openings in my city? Is it really that likely that in 4 years, none of them except for CVS will have openings? Like I mentioned in my previous post, every retail/grocery chain has at least one opening right now (although I realize this could change over the next few years). In fact, Publix has two FT positions open and one PT position open; I mentioned Publix because they seem to maintain a reputation as being one of the most desirable grocery chains to work for.

Do you think I could increase my chances of working for a "good" chain like Publix if I get a job working at least 1 day per week as a student intern at a Publix pharmacy?

Without specifics of your location, we can only speculate. But I'll relate to you my experience.

When I graduated a little while ago, there was literally 1 open Kroger position for a pharmacy manager in my entire state. There were approximately a dozen Publix positions (and I interned there for 4 years) posted online. However, none of them responded. Despite assurances that I should apply online, I realized from fellow graduates that they either obtained their jobs through career fair (having also been interns with them) and conveniently happened to intern in locations that had availability. If Publix only has 2 FT positions and 1 PT position open according to their website, it's likely they're waiting for experienced pharmacists and it's not indicative of "true" openings. In 4 years, availability will be even worse.

If you intern there AND go to their career fair, you have an okay chance of obtaining a job with them. But it isn't a sure thing as I know other interns who also did not obtain a job with them upon graduation. I would not consider it a good gamble if you wish to only obtain a job from Publix or Kroger.
 
I understand that many new grads have no choice but to work for CVS for their first job after graduation, but what about all the other retail chains I mentioned in my previous post that currently have openings in my city? Is it really that likely that in 4 years, none of them except for CVS will have openings? Like I mentioned in my previous post, every retail/grocery chain has at least one opening right now (although I realize this could change over the next few years). In fact, Publix has two FT positions open and one PT position open; I mentioned Publix because they seem to maintain a reputation as being one of the most desirable grocery chains to work for.

Do you think I could increase my chances of working for a "good" chain like Publix if I get a job working at least 1 day per week as a student intern at a Publix pharmacy?

You can't base your perceptions on online job posting. Large companies, by law, are required to post job opportunities. However, this does not mean they don't already have someone or they can't find a candidate.

The reason why I specially chose CVS is because if you don't see yourself working for CVS then you should reconsider your career option. They are a big player and more importantly, they are changing how the profession is practice not just within CVS but at other retails as well.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. If pharmacy is your best option right now then hey, you have to do what you have to do.
 
Without specifics of your location, we can only speculate. But I'll relate to you my experience.

When I graduated a little while ago, there was literally 1 open Kroger position for a pharmacy manager in my entire state. There were approximately a dozen Publix positions (and I interned there for 4 years) posted online. However, none of them responded. Despite assurances that I should apply online, I realized from fellow graduates that they either obtained their jobs through career fair (having also been interns with them) and conveniently happened to intern in locations that had availability. If Publix only has 2 FT positions and 1 PT position open according to their website, it's likely they're waiting for experienced pharmacists and it's not indicative of "true" openings. In 4 years, availability will be even worse.

If you intern there AND go to their career fair, you have an okay chance of obtaining a job with them. But it isn't a sure thing as I know other interns who also did not obtain a job with them upon graduation. I would not consider it a good gamble if you wish to only obtain a job from Publix or Kroger.

Thanks for the info. Can I ask what state you're in? Even though I would like to work for a grocery chain like Publix, Kroger, Winn-Dixie, etc., I guess it's more a case of not wanting to end up working for CVS and hoping to be able to work for just about anyone else.
 
I live in Georgia.

If not working for CVS (and probably Walgreens as well since it's only slightly better) is your only requirement, that's fine. Your best bet would probably be with Winn-Dixie or Wal-Mart. But if you plan on sticking to that resolution, just prepare yourself to either a) Relocate or b) Apply for several months.
 
I am a new grad working in a pediatric hospital pharmacy.

1. I have a set schedule of 40 hr/week but occasionally work an hour or two of overtime here and there especially in the is peak busy season (flu/RSV season). It's set usually for the next 1.5-2 months and my coworkers are helpful with trades if anyone needs it.

2. I work every other weekend and my schedule consists of 8 hour days or evening shifts.

3. My wife is currently in pharmacy school so we see each other but she's usually studying at the times when I'm home to watch our son.

4. We've been maintaining the same quality of life since I was in pharmacy school. No big purchases as of yet other than paying off a few bigger bills (hospital bills from our sons birth etc.) really it's been all good. My job gives me satisfaction and there are clinical aspects to my staffing position so I am able to make use of skills learned in school though I am having to do a fair amount of self learning due to pediatrics being a fairly neglected topic in school.