Pharmacist Lifestyle questions.

Started by mrfran
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mrfran

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering how a pharmacist lives on a day-to-day basis, im currently doing some research on some medical jobs and i think i seem to fit the most to the pharmaist career field

Ok to list my questions:
1. How much hours are you required to work? (hours/week)
2. Day of work (shifts)
3. Time with family/self?
4. Quality of life?

That's all.. im currently serving the armed forces and considering on either separating and study pharmacy or stay and cross-train to pharmacy get experience then retire at the age of 38 and work outside i know it's a long-term goal but whatever

I'll appreciate anyone's help tnx
 
1. How much hours are you required to work? (hours/week)
I work 6 days (8 hour shifts) one week and 4 days (also 8 hour shifts) the second week for a total of 80 hours per 2-week pay period.

2. Day of work (shifts)
My shift is either 8-4 pm or 2-10 pm and I have equal amounts of both shifts each week.

3. Time with family/self?
My fiance is graduating from pharmacy school this fall and will be put on a schedule that mirrors mine in a different store. So for that, we're pretty lucky because we'll always have the same time off. We do not have kids so this kind of schedule works for us. I imagine for someone with a family it would be much more difficult with the late shift.

4. Quality of life?
One of the reasons I chose the company I work for is for the personal preference of having 8-hour shifts rather than 10-14 hour days. The shorter days makes it easier for me to have a fresh mind and maintain focus each day at work. It also gives me time during the mornings or nights to do other things that I enjoy.

Hope this helps. 🙂
 
1. How much hours are you required to work? (hours/week)
I work three 12.5 hour shifts per week. I work one 8 hour shift every 4 weeks and every 4th weekend 9-6 both days. Total of 44 hours per week.

2. Day of work (shifts)
My shift is either 9AM-9:30PM Once every 4 weeks I work one 8AM-4PM and and 9AM-6PM shifts.

3. Time with family/self?
I have all of the time I need with my family. I am off 3-4 days per week and 3 out of 4 weekends. I help out my scheduler whenever he is stuck and I get off whenever I want. I attended my last back to school night this past Monday. My youngest is a senior in high school so this is it for me. I called my scheduler and said I need off on Monday at 6PM and it was taken care of.

4. Quality of life?
One of the reasons I chose the company I work for is for the personal preference of having 12-hour shifts rather than 8 hour days. The longer days mean I have more off days to do the things I enjoy. I work 15 days in each 28 day cycle. If you go the 8 x 5 route you work 20 days in each 28 day cycle. That means I have 65 more days off in a year. Another advantage to this schedule is vacation time is given in hours. I have three weeks (132 hours) of vacation. I make sure I take a 3 day week off and I get a week off and only use 37.5 hours of vacation instead of 44. It's like getting 3.5 weeks of vacation at a 40 hours per week rotation.

Hope this helps. 🙂

This is why they make chocolate and vanilla. I would hate to work 5 days per week, 8 hours per day and pharmdinfl loves it. It works for him. You have to find a spot that works for you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering how a pharmacist lives on a day-to-day basis, im currently doing some research on some medical jobs and i think i seem to fit the most to the pharmaist career field

Ok to list my questions:
1. How much hours are you required to work? (hours/week)
2. Day of work (shifts)
3. Time with family/self?
4. Quality of life?

That's all.. im currently serving the armed forces and considering on either separating and study pharmacy or stay and cross-train to pharmacy get experience then retire at the age of 38 and work outside i know it's a long-term goal but whatever

I'll appreciate anyone's help tnx

I work 80 hours per pay period. If there is a holiday in that pay period, then I can either take an extra day off or get paid double time. It's fun to make over $100 per hour, so I try to work most holidays.

I work mainly 8 hour days. Saturday is a 10 hour day and Sunday is 9, so I work a few 7 hour days to make up for it. Short days are wonderful. I couldn't stand getting up when it's dark, then getting home when it's dark. That would remind me too much of rotations in school. I hated it. I need sunshine every day.

I love 3pm to 10pm. It's like getting an extra vacation day. I sleep in, ride my bike, go swimming, run errands, then go to work for only 7 hours. My normal shifts are 8-4, 11-7, 2-10. The 8-4 is good because when I get home the solar panels have the pool heated up to 90 degrees. So, the late shift gives me time alone and the other shifts give me time with my family. I have Wednesday off to break up the work week.

My quality of life is fantastic. The commute to work is short and I spend very little on gas. When I leave work for the day, there is nothing to think about and stress over when I get home. My husband is in IT and is always still working on problems and thinking about how to get a task accomplished without the manpower needed.
 
thanks alot for sharing you life... this is really helping to consider how to set up my plans... im hoping more will share their pharmacist life
 
Ok to list my questions:
1. How much hours are you required to work? (hours/week)
- my actual shift is 3-11, five days a week. we rotate every third weekend, so the week before and after my weekend, i usually get a day off. right now, i am working on our pyxis installation project, so i am working roughly 11-5 on the project, then 5-11 in the pharmacy. it's too hard to do both at the same time, that why i split the day. in a perfect world, i would be able to be full time on this project, i would get a lot more done....

2. Day of work (shifts)
- i like second shift. when i wasnt tied up with this project, i was able to sleep late or get up early, go for a bike ride, go to lunch with friends, go shopping and then head into work. sometimes i do feel like i miss out on stuff that happens at night, but more so in the summer. in the winter i could care less; why not be at work on cold, snowy night...can do anything fun anyway!

3. Time with family/self?
- right now, nonexistent. thank god for cellphones/blackberry...it's the only way i have been able to stay in touch with my friends. my husband works the same shift, so we do get to see one another, with the exception of the last few weeks.

4. Quality of life?
- i'd say pretty d**m good. i mean, right now, i'm totally beat up and seem to have more work to do each day...but the project will be over in a few months. i really enjoy what i do, both as a pharmacist and doing the installation project. it's really whatever you make of it!
 
Old Timer and dgroulx, where do you work? You can pm me if you dont want it public. I like the idea of working 12.5 hour shifts for a few days a week. Also with dgroulx I like how you get double time for holidays. I'm trying to figure out where I want to intern because I plan on staying there after graduation. Thank you
 
In both my jobs, I must work a minimum of 20 hrs per week to get benefits. I only get benefits thru one employer, who is my primary. I've only worked part-time for years - 15 at least. Currently, I'm helping a friend out, so I'm working much, much more - some weeks more than 40.

When I work my retail job, 9A-8P with 1/2 lunch. Hospital is 8 hours with 1/2 lunch. If I work in OR, it may be 9. I work every other weekend & have since 1977. I prefer 2 days off together, but will be flexible for others. I hate one on & one off & split weekends. I also hate 6-7 days in a row with 7 days off. Some like this - not me. I will take my share of evenings & nights as well.

Time with family/self - hmm right now, none unless I really schedule it. Last weekend, we went to order MSIII a wedding dress in NC😱. I had to schedule that far ahead. I'm so committed, its hard to get spur of the moment time off. Time for myself - very, very little. But, that is more being a parent than working and I've lived that life for 25 years. drsdn & I have always had days off without each other (about 1 every week or every other week just so we intentionally have time alone). But, over the years, I do get plenty of time. I decided to work part-time so I could do that.

Quality of life - I wouldn't do anything different if I had it to do over. I have a great quality of life, but then I live in CA. Whats not to like😛?
 
Old Timer and dgroulx, where do you work? You can pm me if you dont want it public. I like the idea of working 12.5 hour shifts for a few days a week. Also with dgroulx I like how you get double time for holidays. I'm trying to figure out where I want to intern because I plan on staying there after graduation. Thank you

Old Timer CVS

dgroulx Walgreens (I'm pretty sure).

The official CVS Holiday Pay scale is:

If you are a full time pharmacist and your base is 42 hours your store is open 9 hours on the holiday, your pay is as follows:

  • If you are scheduled to work and you take the day off you are paid your base hours. You get the day off with pay. (42 hours)
  • If you are scheduled to work and you work you are paid your base hours+hours worked on the holiday. (51 hours)
  • If you are not scheduled to work and you do not work you get your base hours+8 hours of holiday. (50 hours)
  • If you are not scheduled to work and you work you get paid your base hours+hours worked X2+8 hours of holiday. (68 hours)

That being said, don't let monetary considerations overwhelm all of your decision. Read through the posts. There are people who work for CVS who have been treated badly and the same goes for Walgreens. You need to find a situation with the best combination of compensation, schedule and quality of life for you. I personally like CVS. If you are considering CVS, please meet with the Pharmacy Supervisor and try to find a spot that matches your skills.
 
Old Timer and dgroulx, where do you work? You can pm me if you dont want it public. I like the idea of working 12.5 hour shifts for a few days a week. Also with dgroulx I like how you get double time for holidays. I'm trying to figure out where I want to intern because I plan on staying there after graduation. Thank you

I'm at Walgreens. I had knee surgery last year and cannot work the longer days required at other pharmacies in my area (Tampa). Publix, Walmart, Target, are all 12 hour shifts with no other pharmacist coverage. CVS in this area has you working 14 hour shifts. My days off would be spent in rehab.🙁
Most of my classmates went to pharmacies that had longer shifts because they prefer more time off. If I was younger, then that might of had more appeal to me.

Each district will be a little different. There's another post with a Walgreens pharmacist in South Florida who is not having a good experience. I'm in a semi-rural area and have a wonderful DM.

Today I'm working 8am until 3pm. I'll take a lunch when the 2nd pharmacist comes on at 2pm. I'm driving to Publix to pick up a cake for my rotation student (today is his last day). Being freshly off rotations, I try to make their experience a pleasant one.

I think you need to check out different options in the area(s) where you are planning to live.
 
I'm at Walgreens. I had knee surgery last year and cannot work the longer days required at other pharmacies in my area (Tampa). Publix, Walmart, Target, are all 12 hour shifts with no other pharmacist coverage. CVS in this area has you working 14 hour shifts. My days off would be spent in rehab.🙁
Most of my classmates went to pharmacies that had longer shifts because they prefer more time off. If I was younger, then that might of had more appeal to me.

Each district will be a little different. There's another post with a Walgreens pharmacist in South Florida who is not having a good experience. I'm in a semi-rural area and have a wonderful DM.

Today I'm working 8am until 3pm. I'll take a lunch when the 2nd pharmacist comes on at 2pm. I'm driving to Publix to pick up a cake for my rotation student (today is his last day). Being freshly off rotations, I try to make their experience a pleasant one.

I think you need to check out different options in the area(s) where you are planning to live.

Sometimes it seems your preceptor forgets what it was like the day they change titles----That's so nice of you!
 
Thanks for the replies. I've talked to a couple ppl in my class who are interns at CVS now and dont like the way it's run down here. I think I'm going to give walgreens a shot and see how it goes. I have 4 years to decide where I want to stay. But I'm trying to find someplace now that way I can get my extra vacation time when I graduate, plus money for school 3rd and 4th year. I hope I have a pharmacist like you dgroulx when I go on rotation, thanks for the help guys 🙂
 
Ok to list my questions:

1. How many hours are you required to work? (hours/week)

42 hours a week - paid for all hours, not sure how some got screwed out of the last two hours. My contract is based on 40 hours, so I pick up 2 extra hours every week.


2. Day of work (shifts)

Only work Tues, Thurs and half of Friday. Weekends alternate. Long hours, 13 hour shifts for weekdays, 10 and 9 hour shifts on weekends.

3. Time with family/self?
Always seem to have time to do whatever.


4. Quality of life?

Pretty good. Happy with my level of compensation. My schedule allows me to pick up shifts at other stores for usually much more money then Im paid regularly. At this point in my life this is exactly what I want. If i was older and had kids and a wife I would certainly change things.
 
Well, I don't think my reply will help you much because I know 3 other people in the country who work my schedule as a pharmacist

1. How much hours are you required to work? (hours/week)
40 hours per week
2. Day of work (shifts)
I work out of home one week..no set schedule then I travel the next week usually Tuesday through Thursday
3. Time with family/self?
When I'm home officing...I really think my family would rather not see me.
4. Quality of life?
It's the best healthcare job ever.
 
To you older pharmacists that have been working retail mostly- Have you ever thought of, or actually tried to open your own independent? I have never met someone on SDN who has gone this route. It would be interesting to hear others experiences with independent practice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To you older pharmacists that have been working retail mostly- Have you ever thought of, or actually tried to open your own independent? I have never met someone on SDN who has gone this route. It would be interesting to hear others experiences with independent practice.

I have a Durable Medical Equipment company on the side...with retail pharmacy license. It's a niche market I have capitalized on... works for me.
 
To you older pharmacists that have been working retail mostly- Have you ever thought of, or actually tried to open your own independent? I have never met someone on SDN who has gone this route. It would be interesting to hear others experiences with independent practice.

No - never thought about it nor never tried it. One small business in the family is enough - drsdn has that covered. I'm the employee family member.
 
No - never thought about it nor never tried it. One small business in the family is enough - drsdn has that covered. I'm the employee family member.

yeah right... you know who the real boss is...:meanie: